CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

I almost forgot what it's like!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 11:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I almost forgot what it's like!

As some of you have noticed, I'm a new member of the forums. I'm an American, currently working in South Korea. Ordinarily, I spend my nights doing a bit of work but mostly supervising and surfing the web. I've been reading the posts, but never logged in to respond. I guess I just figured the rest of the world was asleep, like the country is here. Now that I've started posting, it's almost like having a conversation with other ATV enthusiasts, and that is something that is hard to come by over here.

Anyway, it's good to "talk" to some of you. Others I could definatly live without.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

The bad part is, when I'm stoping in to work in the middle of the day, your all fast asleep.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 12-24-2002, 12:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well I'm not sure if anyones actually said welcome ,but WELCOME[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Look forwad to hearing some more of your opinions, and comments on the performace of our beloved DS's.

Biggerisbetter.

Old 12-24-2002, 12:27 AM
Pro Rider

welcome .....WickedDS

Old 12-24-2002, 01:04 AM
Pro Rider

that's gotta really bite to have your bike in FL. while your overseas.
Care to share what you've done to your DS?

Old 12-24-2002, 01:28 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Majorecho
that's gotta really bite to have your bike in FL. while your overseas.
Care to share what you've done to your DS?
It's about 797CC's, and most all of the top end {along with the crank}is one-off parts. The piston is actually from an entirely different aplication, and is what the rest of the motor is built around. The exhaust is custom bent, but flows into a Big Gun canister.

I've got three swing arms to run on it, +12", +9", and +6". The +12" is aluminum and would never hold up to anything but completely flat sand, dirt, or asphalt. I keep RAD titanium axles in the +9" and +12". A Durablue in the +6". I've never gotten around to getting a wheely bar made. I think it's more fun without it anyway.

I use 22" Holeshots in the dirt. I've actually taken it out on a friends MX track a few times. Hoosier 22" oval track tires at the drag strip. 25"-12 paddle Taller Haulers for sand.

It's not near as pretty as that Jeffrivercity guys DS is{At least judging by his pictures} but it isn't exactly ugly. It's got a candy blue frame and springs, with black plastic and A-arms. A shop in Florida did my seat in blue and black to match.

I really don't feel good about making claims on it's performance. I don't have any way to back up my numbers untill I get back, or untill I can get it to Glamis for your little get together. I will say that I've been reading the forum for a while and I haven't read about anything that has me concerned. I'll also say that the first time I got it on the dyno, it said 53 HP, so I know exactly what that Jeff guy feels like. I've gotten it on different dyno's a few times since then, and gotten much better results, but none of them completely acurate.

If I can get it to Glamis, I'll send some of the charts with it. If not, I'll dig them out next time I roll through the states.

I'm not trying to keep any secrets. I have nothing to gain or lose by telling everyone what I've done. I'm sure a couple of you could, but most could not afford to duplicate what I've done. I've just seen to many people post performance that wasn't that impressive, and be called a liar when they didn't come to someone elses track to prove it.

Old 12-24-2002, 01:33 AM
Pro Rider

what fuels do you run in it?

Old 12-24-2002, 01:56 AM
Pro Rider

That Jeff guy wishes he could get 53 hp!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-24-2002, 02:02 AM
Trailblazer

That is why I'm guessing I would do OK against what I have read about.

Right now, the most I've tried is a 33% nitro blend. I've been told that the motor should handle up to 60% and still spin the RPM I use, but if I went higher, I would need to drop my red line. Personaly, I didn't run it up to the shift light when I was running the 33% mix, and really haven't had a huge desire to run any more fuel.

Usually, I use a 20% mix and have no concerns about it. I'm not much of an expert on tuning with fuel or methanol, so I don't experiment much on my own. I've noticed that if I stay with the set up I have, and 20%, it runs well regardless of altitude or temp.

Old 12-24-2002, 02:13 AM
Pro Rider

Holly sheep $hit!!

My turn to ask questions...
What..............
Bore & stroke?
Carburation?
Cams?
Compression ratio?
Ignition system?
And why a +12 axle[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

thats all................

Jeff

Old 12-24-2002, 02:14 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: BLACKDS
That Jeff guy wishes he could get 53 hp!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
I'm sort of guessing that he has a bit more than that and the dyno was goofed. The way it was when I got my 53. If that's all he has, I'm really sort of surprized that you guys are impressed with his bike. I really hope his 4?HP was just a goof, wasn't it?

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: I almost forgot what it's like!