CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Excessive Crank-case blow by...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excessive Crank-case blow by...

...here's the delimma...I recently purchased a used TM45 that had alcohol ran thru it for about a year or so...I rejetted and am running gas throught it now. What are the effects of alcohol on a carb?...should and can I buy a rebuild kit? FSW weekend was a hard weekend on the quad for sure...I rode there with a 155 main/40 pilot and my quad ran pretty good. I am now in the Mojave Desert at about 2200 ft and am running the 150 main/40 pilot...Sunday I went for a ride and have serious problems with my mixture...LOTS of soot on my grab bar and at the end cap...mid range is seriously jacked up--running very poor. Plus...I am experiencing major crank case blow by...oil everywhere! Plugs are very dry and black! I had my 10hr valve job done last Feb. and am totally sweating trying to do that job myself but really don't want to pay a dealership to do it...worried about being able to find the right shims in a timely matter and don't have a bolt for holding it at top dead center. I would like to run a compression test but don't have the right set up for that either. Can anyone explain the leak-down-test proceedure in detail? Somebody that's been there done that and has the time to help me out I'd appreciate it very much...

jim

Old 01-28-2003, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider

i dont think the crankcase blowby has to do with your carburation. as far as the black soot it sounds like your pretty rich as what your saying.

Old 01-28-2003, 12:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ok, normally I don't correct people on little typos but, you had it down twice "140 pilot"???

Seriously, are you running a 40 pilot with a 150 main at 2200' elevation?
Do you have the accelarator pump?
What clip is the needle on?

Sounds like you have done a lot of riding lately, have you cleaned / changed your air filter? As it becomes clogged you will run richer and richer.

Any backfiring?

What revs are you hitting when climping your hills? (I think higher revs = more blowby.)
Do you normally ride in that kind of heat?

Old 01-28-2003, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

jiminok just bring it down to the river this sun and we will do a leak down and compression test and get you carb dialed in for you. with as many ds that run around down here we can figure it out![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-28-2003, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

Okay DuneMe...it's been beer thirty for an hour or so now...ever since happy hour ended...good call being the last call...I really meant 40 pilot both times[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]I am sooo embarassed...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I'm pretty hard core about maintaining my airfilter...although I will admit this...this weekend I was riding in very dust conditions...I haven't been able to find a uni direct mount so I took the outer stage from my uni (that I used when I had an airbox)and use it in conjuction with my direct mount K&N and outerwears. I noticed that if I put very much oil on the uni it bleeds into the outerwears and I think this would cause some extreme airflow restriction. One step I took during troubleshooting was to change my filter to just the K&N and outerwears...and changed my plugs...plugs are still dry/black.

I don't have any idea on my RPMS on the hill shooting...but at FSWII on the whoops I'm sure I redlined a couple of times during the races...bad timing on shifting I guess...I'd start in second and make it thru about half the whoops before needing to shift and more often than not would loose my rythem resulting in a rearwheel hop right after shifting to third and rev it to the moon. I never ride that hard like I did there...WOT!!!

No accelerator pump...not sure which position the clip is in....

Old 01-28-2003, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

R.O.Y--thanks for the invite...in a heartbeat I'd take ya up on it but I'm stuck out here in CA for the next month or so...OUCH...I think I've got some sunburn[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]I really appreciate that though...

Old 01-28-2003, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider

You need to be running about a 65 pilot.

Old 01-28-2003, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider

Was gonna PM ya Hurycne but the page wasn't working properly...I take it you're running TM 45 and are running the 60 pilot? I ordered a handful of jets from RWR and wound up with what I thinks a pretty lame selection...FWI know what you want/need before you call them
or you'll end up with mostly useless jets. Good news is they are cheap enough. If your rings are shot/worn wouldn't your plug be black but wet? What would your exhaust look like? It sucks living like a gypsy and not being able to tear into your quad far enough for some substatial gain. Anyone know of any good shops in Reno, NV?

Old 01-28-2003, 01:53 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Michael's is in Reno. Don't know much about their service though. Nice place though.

A 65 Pilot???

Man, I had a hell of a time getting mine started when I first got it. Came with a 25 pilot and wasn't using the accelarator pump.

I am running a 45 Pilot and I have to choke it to start it. But, starts right up after that. I may go ahead and try a larger Pilot. Now you got me thinking.

I am not too pleased with how mine seems to be tuned. I raised he clip to the top for the needle (effectively dropping the needle down) and I think I was running a 150 or 152.5 main at 4SW's. I think I was a little fat with that.

I really notice it falling down on the low RPM's when under a load. Seems like it is getting too much fuel / not enough air. Once the RPM's pick up the thing screams. Not sure if that is the cams (since I am running the Race 1 cams) or the carb as far as tuning.

Jim: Will you be headed to Sand Mt. NV anytime soon? I don't know if I met you at 4SW's. We should be there Feb 14-16 and March 14-16 weekends. I can show you what I did about my crankcase blowby when we hook up.

Old 01-28-2003, 02:09 AM
Pro Rider

DuneMe...we'll just be spending one weekend in that area...this weekend 1 & 2nd. I'll try to find micheal's just to have a compression test ran so to eliminate possible ring problems. It never fails when I start experiencing problems...I wind up initially on the wrong track...I'd like to have the leak-down-test performed also I think...isn't that where you pressurize your cylinder and look for pressure loss whether it be into your exhaust or radiator? I just want my quad to run a good as possible and at the same time learn how these test are performed for future reference. It doesn't matter how often I read about them I just need to be there when they are performed to understand how it works. Thanks for you responses...

jim

Quick Reply: Excessive Crank-case blow by...