CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Wood Stage III vs. Turbo/EFI, You Do The Math

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2000, 01:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would definitely go with the EFI....especially after all the problems DS owners are having with jetting.

Old 05-31-2000, 02:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Scooby, if you are having trouble getting power to the ground with your Ron woods (rip off) stage one kit, Don't you think the turbo with 130 hp will only compound this problem.

Old 06-01-2000, 12:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't know that I classified the RW STG I kit as a "rip off", but I have had more problems than I would have liked to with that kit.

With the turbo, I would be running very, very tall gearing - probably 150+ mph gearing.

Old 06-02-2000, 06:07 AM
Pro Rider

Will ATV tires stay together at those high speeds?
I get pretty bad tire shake at about 75mph, and figured before you could get to double that, they would have slung themselves apart.

Old 06-03-2000, 01:08 AM
Trailblazer

I don't know what tire's you are running but when I had a Banshee it never had any shake at any speed and I would guess top speed at above 80 mph. after modifications on mine, My buddy that had Toomey's could walk away after about 3rd and he never had tire shake either, I would guess his top speed at 90+. You have to have something wrong such as alignment or something is bent or poorly made tires. Dean Sundal's Banshee's are well known for going 100+ mph. but they have aftermarket frames (long and wide like the DS, great for desert riding). You need to find the problem before it causes a digger you won't soon forget!

Old 06-12-2000, 09:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

It turns out that Hyper Tech is moving from Michigan to Kansas, that's why their number was disconnected. I talked to GP Engineering. They haven't been involved too much yet with the DS650 but they heard that the EFI makes a big difference on the DS. There might have been some issues with getting the turbo up and running. I guess though they shipped the DS650 back to the owner in Arizona. I could bring my DS650 to GP Engineering and have them setup/map the EFI and get the turbo running. I'm waiting for more information next week.

I just read both magazine articles on that Raptor and I'm concerned to say the least...

Old 06-12-2000, 10:47 PM
Range Rover

GP, Hypertech who makes the turbo kit what is there # and where are they from? Are they the same company?

Old 06-12-2000, 11:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

LUBA, GP Engineering is really the company that gets the kits built and running. Hyper Tech basically markets the kits. GP Engineering is in Garden City, KS. GP's phone number is (316)276-3863. Call early in the week and in the morning, central time. GP told me that Tom Darnel of Hyper Tech is moving to Wichita, KS from Michigan. Do you have the February 2000 issue of Dirt Wheels? That issue covered the turbo banshee. As far as the kit for the DS650 goes, you don't want to run a higher compression piston such as with Ron Wood Stage II, if you plan on going with the turbo. This will only make the problem of detonation on street gas worse. If anything, they said to reduce the compression. They seemed to think the 650 Rotax motor was strong and shouldn't have any bigend problems - i.e. no crank welding or other motor mods necessary for reliability. You can run up to around 8 psi of boost (50% HP gain) on street gas without detonation. Race gas is needed for boosts between 8-14 psi and alcohol for 15 psi and up. For trail riding, with the 4 switches to bleed off boost, the gas mileage COULD be better than stock because the motor would be running more efficiently. For sand drags running more boost, the gas mileage could be 50%. They have a scrambler 500 4x4 running the Turbo/EFI and it is making 75 HP and beats banshees on dirt. They do turbos for sleds also. See aerodyne corporation and the patented aerocharger turbo www.aerocharger.com/actshome.htm and www.aerocharger.com/snow&atv.htm

Old 06-12-2000, 11:44 PM
Range Rover

How much $? When can I get it? How much HP?

Old 06-12-2000, 11:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

LUBA, This is major $$$ were talking about, but in the long run it is cheaper than the stroker kits due to less maintenance, tuning, shipping motors, down time etc. Probably around $4000 for the complete bolt on turbo/EFI kit, not sure though. Don't forget you can double your HP at least with these kits! It might be possible to buy the EFI separately although it is big bucks itself. From what I have seen and been experiencing myself with these carbs on the DS650, an EFI is the answer - no more carb tweaking every time I go out riding!!! I was out riding this weekend and ran into two stock DS650s that were having jetting problems. My DS650 was running great at home before I drove 5 hours north. When I got to the dunes, the DS was skipping with black smoke coming out the pipe! Every time I go riding, the first thing I have to do is mess with the jetting to get the DS running right before I can go ride. This is because I don't ride in the same location every weekend and the weather changes so much. I am having airflow problems - can't get enough air into that RW carb with the stock air filter. I need to at least run the K&N that I have.

Quick Reply: Wood Stage III vs. Turbo/EFI, You Do The Math