CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Things to look for when buying a used DS?? Help.

Old 04-17-2003, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Things to look for when buying a used DS?? Help.

Hey,

I'm looking at a used DS. It's a 2000 with KN jet kit and filter. The cosmetics are fair. 50% of the stickers are either peeling or gone, the front Bombs emblem is missing. The front tires (Razrs) are worn beyond recognition. The thing is, they are worn in a slanted pattern, from the outside in, I examined the A-Arms quickly and nothing seems bent, but I didn't really look that close. I don't see why the tires could be worn so damn much while the rears having almost 3/4 thread life left in em. (Both were changed at same time I think). Anyway, the plastics look fine except for the missing stickers (pressure wash maybe???), there is a 1/2 inch deep and 3/4 inch long scratch next to the gas cap, everything else cosmetic seems okay,. Mechanically the engine is smooth,tranny shifts smooth, although the clutch feels kinda weird. Or maybe it's just me. Probably just the springs.

Back to the topic, I'm gonna go inspect it again and maybe make the guy an offer(I've yet to talk to the owner of the bike, he has it for sale at a dealer, I tried it there).

What are things I should check before buying. Like parts that wear if neglected, or parts that just wear, things to look for in the suspension.

A nice list would be great (along with where I can find that part and what it looks like, unless it's obvious). I don't know the names of all the parts and I can't start guessing(unless you want me to).

And also if someone could fill me in on the tire wear thing.

Also, how can I test if the fan is still working(if your gonna say let it idle, for about how long??).

I know this is tons to ask, but I really do my homework before buying something, dunno, it's in my genes.

Thanks loads a lot in advance for those offering their help. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-17-2003, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider

I would think the tire being worn like that would be from doing doughnuts on a blacktop road....Think about it.

Old 04-17-2003, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider

Wouldn't the rear tires be worn't a lot more than the front?

Maybe he changed them after...dunno.

Damn, donuts on paved roads is bad...

Old 04-17-2003, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know about the fronts but maybe he just rides on the road a lot? The only thing I can think of about the rear tires is the doughnuts on a road.
By what your saying about this ds650, it sounds like it is being pounded on pretty hard and being neglected of maintainence. I would stay away from buying it because most people's luck or mine for that matter would end up buying it and having problems with it the next day and for the rest of your life......RUN!! Dont look back either.....

Old 04-17-2003, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

Well, it's not as bad as it sounds. The clutch felt a little loose, the front tires are gone and the stickers are missing. Doesn't seem like it was "pounded on".

The rear tires are in pretty good condition.

Old 04-17-2003, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, go for it then. Just be careful, I've gotten so screwed on deals like this but just check it out good first and you should be ok.
Oh, and about mods and wheelies..... I have an FMF pipe, K&N filter, and dyno-jet power kit. Stock gearing and I flipped mine over backwards in the snow!! Quite a shock for me since I'm only 150 pounds. Different tires than stock will help lots. I have shredders on the back and fast trekkers on the front and it handles AWSOME!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-17-2003, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider

sweetness

sounds good.

now back to the question..hehe thx pushinthelimit

Old 04-17-2003, 07:30 PM
Pro Rider

He must have put new rear tires on more recently than the fronts. I've never seen fronts wear faster than rears, even on low HP quads.

Stuff I'd look for as an indicator of wear:

Foot pegs. Something that almost never gets changed out and wears very slowly. When the little teeth on the pegs start getting rounded over, you know somebody has put some hours on that quad.

Skid plates and paint on the bottom of the frame and swing arm. Skid plates with serious wear or deep gashes = not so good. Just the general appearance of the bottom of the machine, that's what really takes a beating, even with a good rider.

Bars, headlight, oil return elbow on the tank. If these three things have never been replaced, the previous owner(s) either never rolled it at speed or got lucky when they did.

I'd say tire tread, but you've already established that the tires indicate high hours. When I got my DS you could still see the chalklines on the original tires.

But hey, even a high hour machine is worth something.

Old 04-17-2003, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider

Yea, how can you expect to have low hours on a 2000?

Thanks again. i'll check for those things.

Old 04-17-2003, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider

Anything else? I should know about?

Oh, for sprockets and chain, how can you tell if that is worn?? (Stupid question, but yea)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Things to look for when buying a used DS?? Help.