CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

tm 45 jetting ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 11:13 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tm 45 jetting ?

ok i know these carbs come with a 150 main from woods, recently the subject came up about jetting down. well i went to my local shop and had them help set it up at first, well it didn't have to low end bog everyone tells about, and it shot out of the hole pretty good, but when i started to barely beat my wifes piped ds i wasn't that happy. well i went and put the 150 back in and the thing is a lot more responsive, but last night i was curious so i pulled the plug and the thing is still very black i was thinking i should be running at least on the dark brown side. i ordered the 147.5 and 145, does anyone else run these jets? i will say the thing ran pretty good with the 150, it just seems it felt snappier with the stock carb, it is running a large pilot but it seems to be helping the bottom end on the bog. and yes i know just going out and pulling the plug isn't the best way to check for jetting, but i get to excited when were riding, plus getting the kids to stop isn't very easy, either.

Old 04-29-2003, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default tm 45 jetting ?

I am running the 147.5 right now and the jet needle is on clip ring 1 from the top. And I am still a little rich. So I am going to try slot 2 on the needle.
What I noticed from the stock carb that a minor change makes a big difference on the 45. I have the 145. Main that I have not tried yet. I am also running K&N in the air box with the lid off. I know that a lot of people are running a carb mount filter witch would help air flow.
I am still tweaking with mine. I also have the accelerator pump activated. The stock carb has nothing over the TM-45 I will not be going back to the BSR42.

Old 04-29-2003, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default tm 45 jetting ?

I had to play with mine quite a bit, and finally have what I think is a pretty good set-up. Keep in mind that even though they are all TM-45s, each will have it's own querks, and does each DS. I'm currently running the following:
150 Main
40 Pilot
97 needle - middle groove
2 turns out on the air screw
NO ACCELERATOR PUMP
Direct Mount K&N

My spark plug looks about right, maybe slightly on the rich side. I think my next step will be to go up on the needle one grove, putting my needle further into the needle jet. I'm thinking that my main is pretty close, and would rather have it a scratch rich than a scratch lean. I do have a touch of hesitation off of the very very bottom, but I think that can be cured pretty easily. Even trail riding, I don't get the hesitation, cause very rarely am I at complete idle.

The TM 45 is a MOSTER off the bottom end and mid range. I actually feel like it kind of lays down on the top. I don't think that it's actually happening, I think that the bottom and mid is so strong, that when it doesn't keep pulling that hard all the way through you feel like it's missing something. Talked with SAMCOED yesterday and he thinks that I've achieve about the most air pumping capacity that I can with the stock cams. And I truely believe that. I think that cams will be the next mod.

If you don't have a monster bottom and mean mid range, something aint right. When I say a monster bottom end.... I mean this thing just hunkers down and growls at you. VERY NOTICABLE!

Good luck