Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Help with Redcat 50cc

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 10:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Redcat 50cc

I hope someone can help with the problem I have with the 50cc Redcat I bought my son for Christmas. He is 6 yrs old, and weighs about 55 lbs. From the beginning, the atv has had no power from a standing start, or when trying to climb a slight hill. If I adjust the mixture screw ( lower left ) out more than 1/2 turn, the engine stalls on acceleration. I have moved the c-clip on the metering rod to the upper ( farthest from the needle tip ) position; it was originally one slot below that. I have checked the valve clearance, dis-assembled and cleaned the carb, and still have no low end power. When accelerating from a stop, or climbing a hill, the engine seems to lug down in a manner similar to running with the choke closed. Also, I saw a post on here about the carb cap hitting the frame and cracking the intake. Although this atv only has about 5 hours, I can see where the carb cap has contacted the frame. The intake isn't cracked yet, and I am going to find some way to gain clearance before it does.

Old 12-30-2005, 01:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

First off you do not want to raise the clip. This will lean out the mixture and you will lose power on take off. Is this like the meerkat with the semi auto or like the sunl with full auto? I am assuming it is fully auto. I have not heard of the newer 50cc having problems with the intake. It was the older meerkat 50cc that had problems.

Old 12-30-2005, 10:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

This is the Meercat SE 50cc, fully auto. To add to my description of the problem, the atv won't climb over a brick placed in front of the tire, with no rider. If the throttle is fully depressed and not released, the engine lugs down, and eventually starts to die out in a manner similar to you would experience with full choke. The spark plug is black, but not wet. I'm concerned with the intake eventually cracking, since I can see where the carb cap has contacted the right side frame tube. There is no provision on the atv for a shift lever; is it possible that it is stuck in a higher gear and not starting out in 1st? The mid to top end is fine, in fact it is pretty fast once it gets moving. BTW, thanks for the fast reply.

Old 12-30-2005, 01:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

I installed a mini-tach to measure engine rpm, and boy did I have it too high at idle!! I have adjusted the carb screws for best idle around 1500 rpm. I moved the c-clip back to the factory position, one notch below the end. Now, when I squeeze the throttle VERY slowly, the starting power is better, but still not what I think it should be. If the throttle is squeezed quickly, the engine bogs down and has absolutely no power. Do I need a new carb?

Old 12-30-2005, 10:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You should not need a new carb on a new atv. I know the automatics are geared way too high for take off. Im not sure if you can change the rear sprocket to a bigger one to give you better take off. I know dennis kirk has all kinds of sprockets but not sure about the redcat application. I hear alot about the newer redcat50cc being slow on take off. I like the meerkat50 because you can shift.

Old 01-06-2006, 02:51 PM

i thought all the 50 redcats and kazumas meerkats where all 4 speed simi auto's. see redcatmotors.com

Old 01-06-2006, 07:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am by no means an expert, since I own only one 50cc Redcat. However, after some searching on the internet I believe my atv was imported by Freedom Scooters. There is a "Freedom" decal on the atv, and it is fully automatic ( there is no shaft for attaching a shift lever ). The semi-auto 50cc atvs have a fully automatic clutch with manual gear shifting. To limit the speed, the gear shift can be placed in the desired range ( for example 2nd gear ), then the shift lever is removed. If I understand correctly, it then operates only in the selected gear. On my atv, there is no external gear shift. I don't know if it is a CVT belt drive, or some type of clutch / band arrangement. On the left side of the tranny case / engine case is embossed "BMX". So far the guys at Wicked Rocket have tried to help; they sent a carb from a 90cc redcat, unfortunately it won't physically fit. They also sent a new sprocket that was supposed to be larger than original ( to change the final drive ratio ), however it too didn't fit, and wasn't any larger than the original. They are now ordering a new, larger sprocket, and I will post the results if it fits. So far this has all been at their expense, so I certainly can't complain.

Old 01-06-2006, 09:34 PM

my freind you might have ordered a redcat but too me. it sound like they sent you what ever they had left. call redcatmotors.com go to the site and get the # ask for ryan they they do not make a 90 not a atv anyway a dirt bike 90.my girlfriend is a dealer so im pretty sure.
please correct me if im wrong but go to redcatmotors.com and see if your bikes on there website the only new one they got is the 70 atv all the rest they had a year or so

Old 01-07-2006, 09:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Check out wickedrocket.com The atv we bought is the "Meercat 50 SE"; I agree that it probably isn't a true kazuma, as would be sold by Redcat.com or Raceway. The website describes it as the same as a meercat, only with full auto tranny. From what I have read on the forums, it seems like the only difference is in the BMX tranny. The engine / carb / rear chain adjust / etc. are the same as the Kazume / Redcat 50's described in this forum. Freedom Scooters:
http://www.freedomscooter.com/freedom_atvs.html

So, I think you are correct - we didn't get a real Redcat, but a Kazume with a different transmission.

Old 01-07-2006, 11:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I can tell you that any atv with the BMX tranny is going to be a dog off the line. For some reason they geared them way too high for take off but they scream once going. I have not heard of a fix yet and alot of these autos have the BMX tranny.

Quick Reply: Help with Redcat 50cc