Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

ATA150G clutch issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 10:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATA150G clutch issue

Ok I have tried to search and find a solution on here and other places but am coming up empty. I just bought a TAOTAO for my daughter this Christmas, and everything was going fine until after about an hour a grinding/slipping noise started. I put the bike on a stand and took the cover off to see that the clutch was not engaging until high rpm's and would catch and make a loud clunking noise and then the tires would actually move. I am pretty sure I have a GY6 clutch, so while reving the engine, noticed the clutch would spin but the flat part that closes while running was not moving until I raised the rpm very high then the clunk and the wheels would turn. Like I said she maybe rode an hour or two before this started, could the clutch be bad already? Is there an adjustment that can be made to have it engage at a lower rpm? I actually did all the oil changes suggested here prior to starting it, and those levels are fine. Any help or direction would be appreciated. I can attach a clip if need to capture what I am trying to explain if necessary ....... Thanks

Old 01-03-2017, 08:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Fingers crossed

Sorry to hear that you're having so much trouble. I'm currently putting my daughters atv together and was a little leery about buying one of these cheap Chinese bikes. So far NOTHING about the build is going smoothly, nothing fits quite right. Definitely not like I was told it would be that's for sure. I already had to purchase $15.75 worth of hardware to put the front end together and both racks. If this thing doesn't start and run properly, I just might set it on fire. Please keep us posted on your findings, hopefully it just needs adjustment

Old 01-03-2017, 09:39 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

First thing i would try is take some compressed air and blow things out... Their is usually a bolt on the clutch case where you loosen then take a screwdriver and turn the center until you feel resistance and then tighten the nut while holding the center. Just cant remember what way to turn it.

We just bought one last summer and had it fully assembled in about 15 min and the little one has put around 200 km on it over the season

Old 01-03-2017, 05:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

There is absolutely no way that you put it together in 15 mins. Even if every bolt, screw, and nut were perfect you couldn't do it 15 mins. And if you did, you shouldn't let your child ride it until a professional checks it out. I'm a mechanic with my shop setup for stuff like this and to do it RIGHT it takes 2-3 hours even if everything is bent perfectly and lines up. Go blow your own false horn elsewhere

Old 01-03-2017, 06:32 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Before you start saying I'm full of crap maby u should know my background. you have no idea my level of experience send if you think I would put my child's life in danger then u had better think again. it's not rocket science to put bars on and tires and check everything over for tightness if u know what your doing! I've built so many of these things from ground up I can do it in my sleep and I've never had anything come apart or break that I have built or checked over. I over build so they are safer and more reliable. just because your a mechanic does not mean you are the best or most experienced at building or maintaining a atv.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok a little more info as I am getting more familiar with these ATVs. I am leaning away from the clutch, and believe it is more in the Gearbox/Transmission. It sounds like grinding gears until they "catch" then the atv will move and then slip grind, "catch" and move again. The reverse works fine and after using reverse the forward works a bit better for about 2 mins then starts to slip again. So my question is this before I take it all apart. The reverse gear and the forward gear I am assuming are different. So would I just need to replace the final drive gear or the whole gearbox? I may be mistaken about some of the names of the stuff inside the gearbox too. I am having a hard time getting anyone over at TaoTao to even answer calls to support or their email, so this is taking way longer than expected to get resolved. Also once the gear oil is removed what weight/type should be put back in the gearbox.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

My issue has been resolved, it was the shift arm wasn't adjusted correctly. So with a little adjustment all is good now.