Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Tao Tao 125D not turning over

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 05:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tao Tao 125D not turning over

I have a four year old Tao Tao 125D. The start switch and the remote do not work. I have replaced the starter solinoid and battery. I have checked the kill switch that pulls off, it appears ok.

I know the front brake switch is toast, that happened a couple years ago. We just used the rear brake to start it. Then that stopped working

Last year we used the remote to start it, but now that doesn't work. In fact, I can't even get the alarm feature to work using the remote. It's all dead!

I jumped the starter solinoid to see if the motor would even turn. It fired right up.

I'm starting to think the computer is bad. Any help with ideas of what to check and how to check them would be greatly appreciated.

Currently I have the body off so I can gain access to all the wires.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Aventb

I know the front brake switch is toast, that happened a couple years ago. We just used the rear brake to start it. Then that stopped working
Don't have that much experience with the Chinese quads,but have you replaced the brake switch(I guess it's also a starter lock out like most youth machines are) or replaced the foot switch if it has one? That would be my first thing I'd consider doing unless these wires can be bypassed.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have not replaced the switches. I just started using the remote to turn the thing on. I'll order some just to zero out the possibility.

I with you on the Chinese quads. I have two sportsmans and know my around them from and back. With the taotao, It's a learning process right now

I tested the voltage regulator (4 pin). I found only one pin shows voltage. This might be my problem as to why not energy is getting through to my other components.

But I'm still open to suggestions!!!

Old 04-12-2017, 07:17 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Hang on,the Chinese experts will show up at any time to help..

Old 04-16-2017, 04:17 AM
Trailblazer

Try hotwiring by using a wrench or something to short the two terminals on the starter solenoid. If this gets the engine to turn over its a problem with wiring or the solenoid.
if nothing happens then the starter is dead. (As long as theres juice in the battery)

Old 04-16-2017, 01:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

It turns over and starts when put the screw driver across the solinoid. I replaced the cdi, regulator and hand controls. Still nothing. I checked the wiring and did not find anything loose.

I will recheck today to see if I missed something.

Old 04-16-2017, 01:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Does anyone know how to test the ignition switch?

I'm no pro with a multi meter but I learn fast if someone can give me an idea how to set it and what to check for.

Old 04-16-2017, 01:34 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Aventb
Does anyone know how to test the ignition switch?

I'm no pro with a multi meter but I learn fast if someone can give me an idea how to set it and what to check for.
On the bike itself measure volts, first see when ignition is on if you get any readings from one wire going from the key ignition to the starter button to ground. If not theres probably a broken killswitch or broken wire (broken wires can be checked by looking for continuity). A broken killswitch kan be bypassed by unplugging them (brakes, gear etc usually have killswitches preventing start)
if you however get volt readings from the ignition to the start button then measure after the push button. No readings after (when button is pushed) means button is defective. Readings after but no cranking means solenoid is bad.

just follow the power with your multimeter and se where it ends

Old 04-16-2017, 08:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Update

I got it figured out. The rear brake switch is bad. I unplugged it and used a wire to connect the circuit. Rear brake light turned on as if I was using the brake. I used the ignition button and it turned over.

I will be ordering a new rear brake switch tonight.