Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Push button stater getting really hot

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 12:53 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Push button stater getting really hot

Hi All

I have a 110 electric automatic bike. the battery went flat so i wanted to start it.

it has a pushbutton starter. so i engaged the break set the choke, pressed the button while jumpered to my car. you can hear the starter moter crank over and engine, you can feel air coming out of the exhaust then a pause, then crank over, then a pause, then crank and a pause and so on. its not a constant crank there is always a few second pause before the next crank. after about 5 of these starter motor and engine trying to crank the pushbutton wires got really hot and started melting the plastic electrical tape wrapped around them.

so i put an end to it and put it away.

why would it draw get hot on the 5th or so starter crank.

appreciate your helps

Aron

Old 08-24-2018, 09:12 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

When the battery went flat it could have been damaged causing a bigger draw when trying to start. Put the battery on a charger and then get it tested

Old 08-29-2018, 03:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Zrock
When the battery went flat it could have been damaged causing a bigger draw when trying to start. Put the battery on a charger and then get it tested

thanks ill give it ago asap

Old 09-09-2018, 06:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

so turns out battery is cactus. so i put it over my car battery. took the push button out and manually touched the wires together, the wires spark and almost fuse together getting very very hot so something terribly wrong. also the starter moter will sorta go brr then nothing then sluggsh burr then nothing sometimes it burrs a bit more and i get the engine trying to turn can hear the woof from the exhaust then nothing.

so i did some wire checking and the person before done some weird weird stuff. i have ordered a new wire harness, new cdi, rectifer, new spark plug, new key start new handle bar starter new everything getting rid of the push button and all the weird wiring thats been done to it.

When i got the bike it came with a spare engine that has a crack in it so no good, anyway i took the starter motor out and put it across my car battery and it spun like i would expect it to. I dont have circlips pliers so was unable to the take the old starter motor off but as soon as i get the pliers will swap out the old starter with the one i tested accross my car battery. and see if it works with the new harness.

fingers crossed.

Aron

Old 09-09-2018, 11:25 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

when you said push button starter i automatically assumed you were referring to the factory push button. Since this is a repair someone did i would almost bet they had used a push button that was to small. I have done the same mod to a old machine where i did not feel like changing the bar controls. I put a heavy duty water proof i think it was rated for 50 amps or more in and wired direct to starter. Worked great and the people i sold it to used it for a few more years until their kids destroyed the machine

Old 09-09-2018, 05:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

when you said push button starter i automatically assumed you were referring to the factory push button. Since this is a repair someone did i would almost bet they had used a push button that was to small. I have done the same mod to a old machine where i did not feel like changing the bar controls. I put a heavy duty water proof i think it was rated for 50 amps or more in and wired direct to starter. Worked great and the people i sold it to used it for a few more years until their kids destroyed the machine

it seems like a pretty heavy duty push button starter, big solid wires.

anyways we see how the new harness goes, i prefer the handle bar starter anyway.