Club News and Events Share information about ATV clubs, club activities and membership, ATV events, etc.

HELMET LAW!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 03:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELMET LAW!!!!

The bill is Senate bill 1830. The first part is a helmet law for anyone under 18. The second part, paragraph B, bans anyone under 12 from any and all ATV's. Senator Cain introduced this and it has gone to Judiciary Committee.

All that info is on the Thread Oklahoma Bans under 12 or something like that by racechick. I called Royce Wood of AMA and he said to write the committee members. You can also look up the bill by going to oksenate.gov.

This is a terrible bill and the title of the bill is misleading and the news channel didn't say anything about banning kids under 12 either. I guess you can't believe the news media. You have to see it for yourself. My kids are priority number 1 when we ride. They wear their helmets and they have never complained.

Old 02-09-2006, 03:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default HELMET LAW!!!!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Great info Mom, this is how it gets started on a grass roots level, our Reps will never know how we feel unles we just plain tell them.

Old 02-15-2006, 01:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default HELMET LAW!!!!

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Senate bill 1830 passed out of the judiciary committee and now is going to the full house. The admendment to drop the under 12 wording failed.

It is time to contact you senators and representatives again.

This is not looking good. Here is where the info is on the bill
http://okinsider.com/readstory.oki?t...ryid=0QF1CKF49

Ronnie

Old 02-15-2006, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default HELMET LAW!!!!

Even more good news.

Senate Bill 1830 has an emergency clause attached to it.

Ronnie

Old 02-18-2006, 01:13 PM
Trailblazer
Default HELMET LAW!!!!

Does anyone know if the OCCRA or any other groups are contacting the Senators since this BAN for under 12 will be voted on by the Senate and possibly the House?

Senator Patrick Anderson emailed me and he is against this bill, but we need to keep after these people or they may change their minds.

Has anyone heard from any other Senators, like the ones from around the City and Tulsa?

Old 04-04-2006, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default HELMET LAW!!!!

Houses Passes Helmet Bill
Tuesday April 04, 2006 7:50am

___ NewsChannel 8 Interact ___

• Signup for eNews Alerts
• Printable Version
• E-Mail This Story

Oklahoma City (AP) - A state House committee passed legislation Monday that would require anyone under age 18 to wear helmets while riding all terrain vehicles.

The Health and Human Services Committee voted 21-to-1 to send the Senate-passed bill to the House floor.

Supporters of the measure say it will reduce injuries and save lives.

Author of the bill Representative Bill Nations says 11 Oklahomans died in A-T-V accidents last year and none were wearing helmets.

The bill would also prohibit riders under the age of 14 from carrying passengers unless the A-T-V was specifically designed for it. A-T-Vs used for agricultural purposes would be exempt

Old 04-04-2006, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default HELMET LAW!!!!

Are the electric powered walmart carts excluded as well......?LOL

Sorry about your state.....that sucks!!

Old 04-16-2006, 01:32 PM
Trailblazer
Default HELMET LAW!!!!

The following was reported on 4/11/06 from the okinsider web site:

Amendments filed in regards to bill 1830:

Nations has filed a floor substitute for the bill, changing the requirement from 14 years to 18 years for the driver of an ATV to be able to carry a passenger, unless the vehicle is designed to transport a passenger.

Rep. Jim Newport, R-Ponca City, filed the most interesting amendment, adding language to the bill that would not only require a minor to wear a helmet but also to wear body armor at all times if there is a gun present in the household and to wear a helmet, knee pads and elbow pads when using any playground apparatus, such as a swing set or monkey bars.

When asked about the amendment filed by Newport, Nations noted he had not read the amendment and had not spoken with the author. "I'd prefer not to complicate the purpose of my bill," Nations stated. "I'd rather my bill stay clean."

Rep. James Covey, D-Custer City, also has filed an amendment, providing that helmets only have to be worn if the ATV is used on public land, which he defined as any land owned or controlled by the state.

Covey said the bill would be tough to enforce on private land but he had no problem with requiring the helmet law on public property. He said minors who merely move an ATV into a barn would be required to wear a helmet and he does not feel that is right. "In my opinion, whenever you move on my property, that's my right," Covey explained.

Nations said the Covey amendment would defeat the purpose of the bill. He said there could be discussion about the ability to enforce the law on private property but that he believes enforceable. "Most of the accidents happen on private property," Nations explained. "I don't see the point in excluding private property."

Call and write to our Reps. The deadline for this bill to be heard in the House is next week I believe.

Old 04-29-2006, 02:58 PM
Trailblazer
Default HELMET LAW!!!!

UPDATE SB 1830 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill 1830 died in the house because it was not heard by April 27, 2006 which was the deadline.

The comment below means we are all going to have to fight this crap again next year, because they (medical industry, safe kids of oklahoma, etc) think we need protected and that they need to protect our kids for us. Newsflash for them: I already protect my kids, I don't need a law and I don't need someone coming onto my private property telling me how to protect my family. Thank you very much. We all need to be ready and aware for the bills next year. I also received the following email forwarded to me by a friend regarding this issue.

The following is an excerpt from the okinsider web page:

4-28-06

Martha Collar, director of Safe Kids Oklahoma, expressed dismay that the bill was not heard before the deadline passed. "I think it's really sad. If we could have gotten it on the floor it would have passed because it had overwhelming support in the Senate and in the House committee," Collar said.

Amendments filed to the bill before it could reach the floor, however, further sparked the controversy surrounding the measure. Rep. Jim Newport, R-Ponca City, filed an amendment to the measure that would have required children to also wear body armor at all times if they live in a home in which firearms are kept. In addition, children would have to wear a helmet, kneepads and elbow pads when using playground equipment.

"I hope it was a joke but, while people are making jokes, kids are dying," said Collar. "We're going to continue doing what we can in the way of education but education only goes so far. We'll definitely be back next year with another bill."

(forwarded email below)

Collar, Martha E. (HSC)" <martha-collar@ouhsc.edu> wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 3:35 PM
To: Collar, Martha E. (HSC)
Subject: RE: latest

As of this time the House leadership has reconfirmed that they will not allow a public recorded vote on the House Floor on SB 1830. The deadline passes on Thursday which will mean the measure is dead.

That is according to Rep. Dan Sullivan (Tulsa), House Majority Floor Leader. The House has a four-man committee headed by the Majority Leader, others on the committee include Rep. Jeff Hickman(Dacoma), Rep. Mark Liotta (Tulsa), and Rep. Dale Dewitt(Braman). This group was established to monitor floor agendas. They meet privately and apparently voted between themselves on whether to hear certain bills. If they tie then Speaker Hiett is called in to break the tie. We now have established that Rep. Hickman did not want the measure considered since he represents the area that includes the Little Sahara State Park. Unfortunately the Tourism Department needs some statute to help regulate ATV use in that park.

We were certain that had a floor vote been allowed the bill would in all probability passed in a bipartisan vote. Its difficult to impact a decision made in this manner. Thanks to Rep. Doug ***, Bill Nations and Rep. Steele for their attempts with the leadership and their concerns for child safety.

I think those of you that deal with the tragedy and loss directly in the ER, rehab and EMS have been very helpful. My apologies to the parents who have taken time to advocate -- you deserve better consideration. Public Health policy usually is difficult because it asks the culture to change a widespread behavior that results in premature death or disability to a significant population. If we can work in the offseason to educate more legislators on a local level we will eventually get a good law, perhaps even a training program.

(end of email----in another email received these "Safety people" were trying to rally their supporters the Wednesday before the deadline to call in support for this bill so it would get heard.)

THANK YOU TO ALL WHO WROTE IN AGAINST THIS BILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LATER,
ATV4MOM

Old 01-31-2007, 09:01 AM
Trailblazer
Default HELMET LAW!!!!

New bills for Oklahoma 2007:

SB 1039-Oklahoma Sen. Andrew Rice (D) has introduced SB 1039, which targets children and families involved with ATV?s. It gives the State Board of Health authority to make further rules regarding ATV use as they see fit. This means the State Board of Health can make whatever rules they want to in the name of "protecting us from ourselves". There is another thread that tells about this bill. It also sets age/cc limits and penalties, etc.

HB 1686 introduced by Nations which requires any person under 18 to wear a helmet on an ATV.

HB 1539 introduced by McNiel which relates to required equipment for motorcycles; deleting age limitation for helmet requirement. This is a mandatory helmet law for motorcycles for everyone.

Quick Reply: HELMET LAW!!!!