Club News and Events Share information about ATV clubs, club activities and membership, ATV events, etc.

Wisconsin Riding Club, New OHV Park?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 04:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wisconsin Riding Club, New OHV Park?

Hello All,
My husband and I are avid riders - He has a Grizzly 660, and I ride a Kodiak 450 (which I Love!!!) - we are looking for more areas to ride in Southeastern, WI - so many of the trails are WAY upnorth, and difficult to make on a one day trip. Looking for any suggestions that you have for the area - I've heard Lake Geneva has some good spots - but aren't sure where they are located - anyone been in the area or have some suggestion of trails that you have found - I'd definitely be interested!

We spent some time in Silver Lake this past weekend looking for the trails that you are referencing in your message - I am interested in learning more about the exact location of how to access them, and also what the status is on talking with the land owner?

Thanks All - Looking forward to hearing back!
Peace and Happy Riding ;-)
kodigirl
Franklin, WI

Old 06-25-2003, 09:49 AM
Range Rover

I'm afraid there are no trails at the Gravel Pit in Silver Lake at this point...no formal entry point...nothing. That's what we were trying to work with the owner about. There are two or three big looping routes that we have run in the past, but nothing organized, or safe for any number of riders at any time. When I raced motocross, the guy that introduced me to the gravel pit had sort of layed out a motocross practice track. Pretty narrow, one way, steep hills, jumps, off cambers, etc. So, it would need quite a bit of work to be safe for several different riders to navigate it safely in a two-way traffic manor. I haven't ridden there since I met the owner on Easter day of this year.
I've forwarded materials to the owner, and have talked to him a few times. I believe it's in his hands to decide now. I'm not holding my breath at this point, it's alot to jump into...and I suppose it can be a bit scary knowing that one bad apple could come along, get hurt, and sue him. But I've sent examples of waivers that others have gathered for me, I've sent him articles on starting your own riding park, and I've sent him info and links to WATVA and NOHVCC as well. For all I know, he has his paperwork at the lawyers at this point...I don't know.
I haven't heard of any "public" riding spots within a 1-1/2 hour drive of this area besides Bong Recreational Area. I know of about half dozen "private" tracks, but nothing "public". I like the BADLANDS OFF ROAD PARK in Attica, Indiana, less than 3 hours from the Kenosha area...we used to go there a few times a year...one day trips aren't a problem. Leave 5am so you're there by the time the gate opens at 8am, and ride all day...you're home in time for a late supper. I haven't been there for about a year and a half however. There's a link below.
When I used to race motocross, riding spots weren't an issue...all the racing was done on weekends at public tracks, and weekday practicing was done on private motocross tracks...and there are quite a few if you race with and know the guys in the area. Now that I'm only a trail rider, it's depressing. I've seriously considered getting rid of the fourwheeler and picking up a couple jet skis for the wife and I...we definitely aren't at a loss for lakes in this area!
I'll be sure to keep everybody posted if I hear anything regarding the Silver Lake Gravel Pit.

LINK TO BADLANDS OFF ROAD PARK
LINK TO ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE ASSOCIATION
LINK TO TRAILS AT THIS WEBSITE

Old 06-26-2003, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider

Hello Everyone,

Im from Lake Geneva, and Im afraid there is no riding here what so ever!! If you looking for a quick one day trip. There is the Fox Valley off road park in Weadron Illinois, just outsid of Ottowa Illinois. It is a 1hr. 55min trip from Lake Geneva. Its 20 bucks per person and 10 for kids. It consists of appr. 100 acres and has a large motocross track, and smaller kids track. There are plenty of hills and some trails thoughout the property, but nothing to big. (the hills are big, but the trails are not very long). Its a great place to get away to for a day. The other place is Embarrass River in Tigerton Wisconsin. Its about a 3 1/4 hr drive from the Lake Geneva area. It has a great motocross track and about 20 miles of scenic trails through the woods. Nothing technical, but they have camping right there in the park. I think its 10 bucks a day or so. Other than that, you would have to travel to the Badlands, Silver lake sand dunes, Haspin Acres or Black River Falls. As far as Bong Rec goes, its not worth the 20 minutes it takes me to get there. They are always closed, unless its completely dry and nothing but a dust bowl. Even then, they will only open 1 loop, or maybe 2. They wont even open those if they plan on having dog training classes over the weekend. I find it funny that they will gladly collect state funds from ATV registrations to have ATV trails, but rarely open them for ATV's. Just my opinion. Anyway, if anyone from the area wants to hook up for some riding, I go quite often. I ride a 2000 DS 650.

Gary

Old 06-26-2003, 11:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hello All,
Thought I'd share some information with you on some trails and a launch point that my husband and I have uncovered in the area. We have been riding along the root river just east of the I-94 Freeway. You can launch off at the Dead End Saloon which is on the east side of the freeway, just south of teh county line between Milwaukee and Racine - there is a large field to ride on the edge of for a short distance (northbound) which then takes you to the woods/trails - they are beautiful scenery with good riding terrain - lots of twists and turns and even a few mud holes to cross (we all know how much fun those can be! ;-) ) - I talked to a guy tonight who knows the owner of the field - lots of riders regularly launch there at the edge by the saloon/bar. I have tracked the mileage and it is about 10-12 miles one end to the next - you need to cross two roads to continue on the trail, but its an easy cross with little traffic. Worth checking out!

Has anyone been riging on the trails in Monroe? We are thinking of checking that out this weekend, and were interested in any "reviews" . . .

Old 06-27-2003, 10:14 AM
Range Rover

Kodigirl, as far as the "reviews" on the Cheese County Trails out near Monroe, in the near future, you can go to www.wisconsinatv.com. This atv club goes on monthly rides, and reviews all the trails they've been on. As luck would have it, their June ride was scheduled for Sat, June 21 at the Cheese County Trails. The review isn't up yet from last weekends ride, but if you start watching it now, you can probably catch it. It should probably be posted for almost an entire month until their next riding trip. I've been there a couple different times, and they are nice trails. The main backbone of the trail system there is an old railroad bed, straight, flat, and wide. Along the main trail though are dozens of side trails that stretch out into the fields, but I'm not sure how many of those trails are mapped out. That website above also maps all the trails they ride, and have a book for sale. I haven't purchased the book yet, but I plan to.
Regarding the Root River trails, please correct me if I'm wrong, but these trails are a ride at your own risk(illegal)? A buddy of mine rides the Root River every winter with his Banshee and the rest of the ATVers and snowmobilers. If the owner of the land which you use to access the trails allows you to travel to and from the parking spot, that's cool...but who is in charge of the land which the trails are on? I would love to check those trails out.

Old 07-13-2003, 02:03 AM
Range Rover

I love ATVS

Old 07-24-2003, 01:20 PM
Range Rover

Kodigirl,
A buddy and I are heading down to check out the Root River trails this weekend...Saturday morning around 9am. I'll be on my 400, and he's got a Banshee and a Blaster, but I believe he'll have his Banshee. Hope the weather holds up!

Old 07-24-2003, 09:11 PM
Trailblazer

What root river trails?

Kevin

Old 07-24-2003, 11:59 PM
Range Rover

Cheezhead, look up about 4 or 5 posts, and you will find Kodigirls description of the Root River Trails. I've never been there yet, but I'll be trying it out this Saturday morning...

Old 07-25-2003, 02:56 AM
Trailblazer

Wow Ive been watching this post and I missed this Ill have to try this one. This is in my back yard since im in Union Grove.

Kevin

Quick Reply: Wisconsin Riding Club, New OHV Park?