Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

LOW RIDE SHOCKS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2000, 04:49 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This weekend I ran a poker run, well the guy who put it on has a highly modified Roll Designs 250r.
He races GNCC, when I sat on his quad it sat alot lower than my 400. I know this could help me until I save enough money to get me a 250r. What did he do? I know he has Custom Axis shocks all around, Can I get my stock rear to sit down like this with a revalve job? I have Works triple rates on the front. I really could use this, because as you know the 400 sits way to high for some riding. I also race GNCC and some of the off camber turns got me this weekend.

Old 07-03-2000, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

he had a lowering kit. rear is around $75 and front i think is $50. i've seen it done with 400ex. all it does is relocates the shck so it sits lower

Old 07-03-2000, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

get TCS they have a large sag

Old 07-04-2000, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

NO, NO, NO he did not have a lowering kit!!!! Custom AXIS shocks are supposed to sag like that. That is the way they are built. The "sag" comes from the soft rate of the top spring on the shock, and the valving along with the lower spring gives a progressive feel. You may be able to accomplish this with your Works shocks if you buy new springs for them. You have to call Works Performance and buy 2 68 lb. springs, this is the lightest weight spring that they sell. This is the same spring that TCS uses. I believe they are $22 each. You see, Works will tell you that they set up the shocks to run 1/3 of the travel as sag, but they never do. Unless you know a little bit about shocks and you are willing to sit on the phone with a Works engineer, your shocks will always sit too high. Your best bet would be to buy the 68 lb. springs from Works and replace the top springs on your shocks with those. If you really want to get a lot of sag out of the Works shocks, then you have to take out both top springs and just use the main spring with the 68 lb. spring. This will take some of the progressive feel away from the shock, but you will definitely sit a lot lower. I have done this and it works fine for MX racing, I don't know about XC though.

Old 07-04-2000, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

hey Raychalp, You seem to know alot about the Works shocks. I have Works triples with cans for my 400ex. I got them set up for 180 lb rider and stock a arms. I bought +2 a arms and I wondered how to make them lower AND not bottom out on the track. I do not want to send them back to Works if I do not have to. How much of the suspension bottoming is due to the springs and can I fix the problem by raising the pressure in the shocks, or do they need to be revalved?

Old 07-04-2000, 08:48 PM
Trailblazer

When you removed the top two springs on your works shocks and put one 68lb spring in the place of the two did that cause the shocks to be extremely harsh on the small rough stuff of a MX course and/or did that cause the quad (due to the lowered ride height) to bottom out on the big jumps? Also, with just the main spring and the 68lb spring did you leave the preload ring on the shock in the same location as it was with the two smaller springs? If not where did you move it to and why? I have a set of works triples with cans set up for a 220lb to 240lb rider and I weigh 205lbs and without adjusting the shocks preload at all they sometimes cause the bottom of the quad to dig into the dirt even on some small jumps. I would like to know how your quad works with the different springs? Thanks.

Old 07-04-2000, 08:51 PM
Trailblazer

When you removed the top two springs on your works shocks and put one 68lb spring in the place of the two did that cause the shocks to be extremely harsh on the small rough stuff of a MX course and/or did that cause the quad (due to the lowered ride height) to bottom out on the big jumps? Also, with just the main spring and the 68lb spring did you leave the preload ring on the shock in the same location as it was with the two smaller springs? If not where did you move it to and why? I have a set of works triples with cans set up for a 220lb to 240lb rider and I weigh 205lbs and without adjusting the shocks preload at all they sometimes cause the bottom of the quad to dig into the dirt even on some small jumps. I would like to know how your quad works with the different springs? Thanks.

Old 07-04-2000, 08:53 PM
Trailblazer

Old 07-05-2000, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider

Ok, as far as the softer spring on the Works shocks, here goes. First of all, before you make this mod, I would do a sort of test on the existing shocks. Set your bike on some flat ground and then jump on the bumper of few times and get off. This will put the bike at "ride" height so you can check the crossover rings. Look at the rings in between the top spring. You should not be able to see the shock body in between the top spring. If you have Works shocks, and you haven't taken all the tension off of the springs first then I would try that. In my experience though, Works shocks simply have too stiff of top spring. Now, it is very easy to simply change to top spring to a 68 lb. but there is a small problem with this. The 68 lb spring is a lot longer than the standard spring, so you use up a lot of the travel of the spring when installing it on the body. You will have to run the preload clip on the top groove to use the 68 lb spring. But this will give a little more sag than the standard top spring. If you are racing MX primarily, then you could probably get away with taking out both of the top springs and just using the heavy main spring and light top spring. For jumping, you really aren't getting much from the top two springs, those are for the small hits. Jumping is primarily covered by the mainspring. I would have to say that if you are bottoming your shocks right now, then you probably should get the shocks revalved before you change to the 68 lb. spring. I am not saying that the 68 lb. spring bottoms easier, but bottoming is a real problem. However, this mods works wonders for making Works shocks into a "ZPS" type shock, and it is a hell of a lot cheaper too!! If you guys have other questions, let me know.

Old 07-08-2000, 02:10 PM
Range Rover

I have TSC shock on the way. They will be here next week along with my +2+1A-arms. MY question is after reading this post. Will my front end sag lower. My rear shock will still be stock . Will it sit alot higher then the front .when I put my tsc shock on. If so what will it ride like,what can I do to fix it. My next mod will be new rear shocks and axle. Till then will my quad ride right

Quick Reply: LOW RIDE SHOCKS?