Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Shorten Shocks to lower ATV?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 06:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shorten Shocks to lower ATV?

I have TCS front shocks on my DS with two springs and an Elka rear shock with 3 springs.

I need to lower the DS.

I removed two crossover spacers from the front shocks, but it did not lower the DS enough. If I try to take another spacer out the top small spring binds. I thought I would need a different spring, possibly shorter to get the frontend lowered. According to TCS I have to send my shocks from the east coast to the west coast and wait 2 weeks for them to shorten the shocks, and then another week to get back to the east coast, costing $130 not including shipping.

Can I do this somewhere closer to home and quicker?

On the rear shock, I removed the center spring to lower the rearend and backed off the preload for a lot of sag. This lowers the rearend about where I need it, but the rearend is too soft now. Again, do i need to have the shock itself shortened? I don't want to ship to canada. Where can I have this done?

Or, am I better off selling the shocks as is and putting on some different low cost shocks? I've seen a DS with banshee front shocks, just don't know how well it handled.

Old 05-19-2004, 08:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I run a set of shortened Works that were triple rates. I did the shortening myself, but I also got them free because one of the shafts was broken. All I use them for is drags so I am not real worried about the handling, but I think it still does ok considerring how much I lowered it.

All I did was disassemble the bottom mount, it unscrews off the shaft, and cut the shaft how much shorter I wanted it. I went and bought a die to rethread the shaft and then screwed everything back together. Works as good or better than I wanted it too. I guess I could make them really stiff too, for better launches, by cranking down on the preload but its working good for me now. I think I removed about 3 inches from the shaft. But if you want it done right I guess TCS would be the best choice. Any machine should could do what I did though.

Old 05-19-2004, 07:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

But I'm sure you reduced the preload so that the shock wasn't so stiff. the TCS are zero preload so you can't easily adjust them. a new O-ring groove would have to be machined to allow the upper stop to be raised.

I think I might sell these expensive shocks and put in used Raptor front shocks. Do you have a set lying around you don't need?

Old 05-19-2004, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not reeal familiar with the DS frame geometry but couldn't you raise the front shock mounts to lower the bike thats what i'm doing to lower my scrambler. And on the rear just move the shock mount on the swingarm towards the back of the bike??