Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Your Opinions...Best Mud/Trail Tire Right Now?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 08:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your Opinions...Best Mud/Trail Tire Right Now?

I'm looking to purchase new tires for my Traxter, and I've been considering the Ducks Unlimited which is the same as the Carlise ACT radials. I'm also considering the Maxxis Big Horns, but I'm not sure would be the best and which one would give me the best longevity.

Old 03-14-2005, 10:57 PM
Range Rover

I have recently purchased a new set of 25" Wetlands and I really am impressed with their performance in the mud, trails, hills, you name it these tires will handle it with ease. I really surprised with the mud performance, they do much better than I expected, they are awesome. I can't really compare with the 589, I am sure they are better in the mud(deeper lugs), but for all around tires they are hard to beat. There has been some posts about the Maxxis Bighorns, saying they pack with mud, I don't know personnally, just what I read...

Old 03-14-2005, 11:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm not a serious mud player anymore, so a tire that is VERY mud aggressive isn't that important to me. What is important however is longevity and ride. My finished old Carlisle Trailwolfs have given me over 5000 miles of wear. I agree that they aren't the prettiest looking tire out there, nor the most aggressive, but for good ole trail riding and climbing, they really did a good job. I just wish I knew how long the Wetlands or Carlisle ACT's would last mileage wise as they really seem like a nice looking versatile tire.

Old 03-15-2005, 08:05 PM
Trailblazer

RE the Bighorns. I understand that if you have plenty of power to spin them if you get in mud that they do clean out. I wasn't sure if my 400 Kodiak qualifies as enough power or not, so I went with the lighter Wetlands which clean out easily. After researching for weeks maybe months, I have reached the conclusion that the wetlands make the bias ply mudlites obsolete. I'm not in any way shape or form bashing mudlites, I just believe Wetlands are better

Old 03-15-2005, 09:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

WildKodiak05~ I'm jusr curious as to what the longevity of the Wetlands or Carlisle ACT's will be. Nobody has been able to tell me what they look like after 1000 miles or more. I guess it's basically because they haven't been on the market that long. I'm sort of torn right now as to what tires to purchase. I too like the Carlisle ACT's, but rumor has it, they wear quickly, and for the amount of mileage I put on my Traxter each weekend, that sacres me a bit, even if they do ride great. I'm wondering if I shouldn't buy the Carlisle Trailwolfs again, as mine have over 5000 miles on them, and although my front tires are shot, the rears could go another 2 to 3000 miles. Again, I love the looks of the Wetlands/ACT's but is it worth spending that kind of change only to have to replace them in another year or so. This is a tough one. The price of the BigHorns is a bit overwhelming for my budget. I think they are an awesome looking tire, but, longevity and ride are more important to me than looks.

Old 03-15-2005, 09:53 PM
Range Rover

As you said, it is hard to know how the new Wetlands will wear in the long run. I read on one of the advertisements for the tire that it had an increased tread life by a new compound that was used??? I know I sound like a Wetlands tire salesman. Anyway, just my thoughts.

Old 03-15-2005, 10:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

I hope you're right Captain, cause now I'm really thinking of getting the Wetlands or Carlisle ACT's, but I'm in no rush, and I'll wait to see what you and others have to say about them in the next few weeks, before making my final decision. Thanks for the input. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-16-2005, 07:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Here is a pic of the ITP Wetlands Ducks Unlimited.
http://www.ducksunlimitedatv.com/ima.../mainimage.jpg

Old 03-17-2005, 11:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

I've been looking for new meats for my grizz and stumbled across a new tire from Bridgestone called Muddhook XXtreame. Does anyone know anything about these or the plain old mudhook(milder version of the xxtream)? Dirthooks are the factory tire on the Rincon and some other quads and these are the next 2 steps up. Any info greatly appreiceated! Check them out here:

http://www.partsmag.com/0408/Bridges...tone-0408.html

Thanks, Chris.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-20-2005, 04:21 PM
Trailblazer

I kinda think if I had a grizzly and was going to go with bias ply tires the xxtremes would be it. Gotta love their aggressive tread pattern. I have a set of the Wetlands radials on order for my 05 400 Kodiak.

Quick Reply: Your Opinions...Best Mud/Trail Tire Right Now?