Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

polaris transmission is slipping

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 07:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polaris transmission is slipping

i've got a 1996 polaris xplorer 300 with the polaris variable transmission, or whatever they call the automatic one, and its just started slipping. it's happened two times now, and both times i had just had water up just above the floorboards. luckily, its been able to get itself out, but the transmission essentially stops putting power through to the wheels, in 2 or 4wd. i have to wait for awhile, and after about 15 minutes it starts to work again, but the power doesn't come back until the next day. i've never beat the hell out of it, and i've followed the maintence schedule in the manual.

anyone know whats up, or what to do about it?

Old 04-04-2005, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider

You have a leak in your belt cover. Its letting water get on your belt causeing it to slip. Check your belt cover for holes or cracks and it may need a new gasket to keep it from leaking also. Let me know if you need anymore help. Also welcome to the fourms.

Old 04-24-2005, 12:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just joined the forum and I have been looking for this type of problem with the Polaris transmission. Does this happen frequently or has polaris changed the cover to help prevent this? Any info would help because I trying to decide between the honda AT or the PVT.
Can anyone help?

Thanks

Old 04-24-2005, 01:51 AM
Pro Rider

I have had my 700 in some pretty deep water and no problems here.

Old 04-24-2005, 01:51 AM
Range Rover

I have never witnessed a Polaris get water in its transmission...i know it happens but its never happen to the 4 that i ride with...my friends grizzz sucks it in every single time we ride...but we ride in seriously deep water...

Old 04-26-2005, 10:44 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guess it wasn't "the way out" in this case!

Old 04-28-2005, 02:50 AM
Pro Rider

pull the drain plug on the bottom of the belt/clutch cover and let the water drain out then give er some gas to spin the belt so that it can sort of air dry itself. I just recently had a belt start shredding on me and the shredding belt slapping the cover caused a huge cut in the cover around the vent tube. click the "my photos" link below and you can see the pictures.

Trending Topics

Old 04-28-2005, 08:33 AM
Pro Rider

I don't think they had those plugs in 1996. but I could be wrong.

Old 04-28-2005, 01:41 PM
Pro Rider

Delta Boy, this is just my opinion and I'm not looking for a fight. So take it or leave it.

I am not talking about any other quad feature (don't want to get into that argument), but the Hondamatic is, without a doubt, far superior in design, performance, maintenance, and reliability to every belt drive out there. For me, the electric feeling Hondamatic makes up for any so called "industry leading" technology that I don't have. The Hondamatic is without rival in any of the areas I pointed out, and I have yet to be left in a situation that I can't handle as well as any of these "technologically superior" machines. I understand my machine has shortcomings and accept them, but the engine and drive belt were not two shortcomings I was willing to deal with.

What a7203 is experiencing is common with the machine he has. He has probably damaged the belt and will need to service it, and while you're at it look for the leak.

You will find many one or two year old belt drive ATV owners that feel the old problems were fixed and state how reliable their belt drives are, but how can you judge long term reliability on a two year old quad? You can't. Only time will tell and I didn't have the time. However, any time you can smoke a new belt on a new machine simply by driving too slow in high range shows the technology isn't that modern, industry leading, convenient, or fitting for the application.

Old 05-01-2005, 01:50 PM
yaK
Pro Rider

And you happen to know your year old machine is so dependable because..........?

Quick Reply: polaris transmission is slipping