Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

vampires v/s tri-claw

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2000, 09:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 2000 grizzly with 26 inch vampires and I loved the vampires. The problem was I didnt like the grizzly.So I traded in the grizzly on a 2000 polaris and now Im in a little bit of a delima. I saw some new mud machines and those tires look mean. Ive did some reasearch and my conclusion finally lead me to choose the vamps. So I ordered the 27-12-12 vampire to go all around my sportsman. now im worried about wether or not I did the right thing. Does anyone know about the tri-claw and how they perform in the bad mud?

Old 01-22-2000, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider

I have been to huge mudruns here in tx and have seen all the mudtires in action(Xept mudbugs)....The vamps and the Tri Claws Mags run neck and neck in tha bad stuff...I prefer the vamps myself...also have u seen the 28" vampires...that is the king of all mud tires

Old 01-22-2000, 10:07 PM
Trailblazer

no i havent seen them yet but from what ive heard of people talking about them they awsome tires. do you know where I can get a peak at them? Iwish that they came in a 28-12-12 size Id get them. I myself like the wide tires. I think that they do better in the mud and pulling.

Old 01-23-2000, 12:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

Highlifter says that the vampires are better, just look at the pics I have on my briefcase... http://briefcase.yahoo.com/swampthang2003 Then click on highlifter's pics.

------------------
Matt Sibley

1999 Honda 300 4x4 Vampires, Lift Kit, 2500lb WARN winch

Old 01-23-2000, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

I have the Vampires and am very happy with them. The Bi/Tri claws I rode on the same bike as mine was very bumpy when you first start rolling and you have to get up a little speed to get thru the shakes. Having said that, there is a new design, but I don't know what size it has been incorporated into. The vampires pull as well in reverse as they do in forward drive. You can actually puncture the tire and ride on it and not know you have lost pressure.
It is best if you can try them on an atv like yours and see what YOU prefer. I still believe most of what gets you through a bad mudhole is rider skill.
I posted some pics of some 28" vampires on friend's Polaris 500SP at http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/txdoc2

[This message has been edited by TxDoc2 (edited 01-22-2000).]

Old 01-24-2000, 11:35 PM
Trailblazer

I have driven a friends 99 Polaris magnum with the Vampires on it. It rode really well and went through all kinds of mud. I just purchased a SP500 and decided to go with the tri/bi claw setup. It goes through mud just as well (as well as slinging it all over you). The main reason for going with the tri/bi setup over the vamps was handling. Everyone wants big mud tires on the front and wide tires cut down on a lot of our trails we ride. They twist and turn and some of the down hill runs have sharp turs to avoid cliffs and trees. The vamps just didn't cut it when it comes to trail riding. The tri/bi combo has performed better than any of the vamps i have rode with in the trails. As far as mud goes... If you dont mind spending an hour washing the machine then regreasing and cleaning more mud for another hour they both do an excellent job.

Old 01-24-2000, 11:40 PM
Trailblazer

I forgot to mention that the Sportsman 500 magnum with the vamps and straight from the factory with no mods. Did have trouble turning the big 27x12x12 vamps. It was gummy mud and once it dove in it did make it out, but it was burning the belt and was severly overheating. My SP500 has 27x9x12 front and 27x12x12 rear tire setup. It will pull it down in gummy mud that is deep(up to the racks), but as long as you can keep up the wheel speed you are ok.

Old 01-25-2000, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

If u put it in low range that wont happen...that 500 has the power to turn em

Old 01-25-2000, 10:19 PM
Trailblazer

I believe that both of these tires or fairly equal in the mud the vampires probably have a little better ride on the hard pack. I also believe that the rider has a lot to do with getting through the mud. I chose the 27x12x12 TRICLAW MAGS. on all four corners of of my 450S they are a meaner looking tire then the vampires to me! I have the stock size vampires ON my 97 Honda 300S they ride better on the hard pack. I also heard that there may be a 28" TRICLAW MAG. coming out on the market. I'm sure these two tire makers will be butting heads with each other for our business, that is good for us!!!

Old 01-25-2000, 10:52 PM
Trailblazer

TRICLAW!

Hey man where did you hear about the 28" Tri-Claw? When I called them (Sand Tires Unlimited) about it they said they were not even considering it right now (And the rest is posted under the topic 28" Tri-Claws!) I was just wondering if they changed their minds. Any way....I decided to go ahead and get the 28" Vampires and the ITP Magnum Billet wheels. Unfortunately they are on backorder, but I hope to have them by Feb. 6 for the run over in Culloden!

Hope to see ya there!

"LOCK 'EM AND LEAVE 'EM!!!"
SwampMonster

'99 450S L'd, L'd, V'd, S'd, & W'd

P.S.: If anyone doubts that I purchased the tires and rims, MM can vouch for me!

Quick Reply: vampires v/s tri-claw