Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Correct Pressure for Mud Sharks

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2000 | 10:03 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

I had new Mud Sharks (23x8x11 and 24x9x11)mounted on my Honda 300 quad the other day. "Thank You" to all who replied to my question regarding how to mount them correctly.

Does anyone know what is the best pressure to run in these Mud Sharks? I ride mostly hard trail and some occasional mud. However, I'll ride a lot more mud at the peak of hunting season November through February.

Once again, THANKS for your replies.

Old 10-16-2000 | 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

Tom22:
Sorry to say this, but the "best" pressure to run in your tires is whatever feels best to you. Low pressure will decrease ground clearance, while higher pressures will increase clearance, though the differences will be slight, they may still be noticeable in various situations and worth the increase. If you want a smoother ride, go with a lower pressure, say around 4-5 lbs. each or so. However, in the mud, you'll want to increase that a bit to get a taller tire effect which will "cut" through the mud better than a lower pressured tire. For that, I'd suggest going up to 7 lbs. or so, while some people go as high as 10 lbs. Again, the higher the pressure, the rougher the ride. Running too low a pressure, or a tire with no pressure will result in a higher risk of popping a bead. Just something to think about.

I currently am running 6.5 lbs. of air in the front of my stock Titan 489's on my 'Cat, with 6 lbs. in the rear. This gives good traction/ride combination, and the higher pressures help to compensate for the extra weight I carry on the machine. Oh, and another thought-higher tire pressures will result in a more "bouncy" ride, which does not work well in rocky situations, for those kind of conditions, I'd recommend running lower pressures, in which the tire will "wrap" or "conform" to the contours of the terrain, or rocks.

Anyhow, hope that helps and isn't too confusing. Good luck in finding your "best" pressure.

Mike