Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

best compressed air source on the trail?

Old 08-01-2006, 04:32 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best compressed air source on the trail?

I'm looking to buy an air compressor to take with me on trail rides and am not sure which way to go because I've never had a flat out on the trail (knock on wood). There are lots of options at different prices from the inexpensive CO2 cartridges and hand pumps to the cheapo 12V cigarette lighter compressors and then on up to the heavy duty ViaAir units the jeepers use. Any advice on what others like? I've got a cheapie cigarette lighter model I use to fill my float tube but it bounces around and overheats all the time - if I take that will it be adequate for ATV? Also what sort of flat repair kit is best?

Old 08-01-2006, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

i have read that the $20 compressor from wal-mart is pretty good. i do not have a air compressor yet, but i do carry Fix-a-flat (large can), tire plugs, and a bicycle pump. your air compressor might work fine, as atv tires are low pressure and small.

monty

Old 08-01-2006, 04:56 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by: verde
I'm looking to buy an air compressor to take with me on trail rides and am not sure which way to go because I've never had a flat out on the trail (knock on wood). There are lots of options at different prices from the inexpensive CO2 cartridges and hand pumps to the cheapo 12V cigarette lighter compressors and then on up to the heavy duty ViaAir units the jeepers use. Any advice on what others like? I've got a cheapie cigarette lighter model I use to fill my float tube but it bounces around and overheats all the time - if I take that will it be adequate for ATV? Also what sort of flat repair kit is best?

Considering ATV's only take a few pounds of air they should be more than adequite. just my .02¢

Old 08-01-2006, 06:45 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The little light CO2 cartridges work just fine. You have to waste one cartridge to find the hole, then it takes 1-2 cartridges to get the tire hard enough to ride after you have plugged the hole. And, if you run fix-a-flat, it will take care of all the little things anyway.

It just isn't necessary to pack around anything bigger. Do make sure that everyone in your group has their own cartridges, so you don't have to give yours up for someone else.

Old 08-01-2006, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

i think the 12v ones work good you just plug in and go very nice we have used it many times

Old 08-02-2006, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider

I carry a 12volt one in my tool box and have a hand pump one one the bumper. I take my tool box off some time and you never know, beside if I need just a little air it is easier to get the hand pump one, but for big jobs I have the 12volt.

Old 08-03-2006, 03:55 AM
Pro Rider

I use a rechargable unit that also has a 12v outlet in case it looses it's charge. I have less than $30.00 in it and I have been using it for 2 years now works great. My main riding partner welded up a 2" round bumper on the back of his Grizzly 660 that has a quick disconnect air attachment in it. He charges it before he goes out and he just carries a coiled hose. With all the air pressure in it he can fill his tires several times without running out of air. I am looking at doing something similar in the future.

Mud