Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Tire/Wheel Retrofit-Sizes for General Purpose ATV's

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007 | 01:52 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Tire/Wheel Retrofit-Sizes for General Purpose ATV's

I am a proud new owner of a Honda Foreman 500ES 4x4. I use this ATV for dog training and motoring around farms and ranches. I am not a racer nor a mud bogger. I am, however, male, and I am finding myself wanting, no needing, cool aluminum wheels to go on my oh so cool red four wheeler.

As I look at what I have and compare to how others rig out their ATV's, I realize that there are some real differences in sizes from OEM to what happens aftermarket.

Currently, my rig has the stock 12.0x6 and 12.0x10 wheels with stock tires(Dunlops). They are different in size from front to back and I know that those of you who will be kind enough to provide input can rattle this stuff off the top of your head.

My question is...does a regular old utility user put the same size rims back on as what came on the rig or is there some performance value to putting larger rims on the front or front and back along with different or new sized tires.

It is important to me that I preserve ride quality and safety so I want advice on how to pimp my ride and preserve or enhance/improve its performance.

For tires, recommendations on both size and a model that will give me the most resistence to puncture. Here in central Texas mesquite and thorny things seem to be all over the pastures we train our dogs in. I have seen some 6 ply tires. Would these offer more puncture resistence?

Help me clarify the wheel size/tire size confusion. Any and all information/opinions are appreciated.

Best regards,
Mike