Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Tire repair kits

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 09:19 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire repair kits

Making my first trip to hatfield mccoy next weekend. Ive done searches on here about what to expect and what to take with me, so I think I am pretty well prepared, if not it will be a good learning experience!

I want to pick up a tire repair kit before we go, and was looking for some input as to which method is better, the CO2 cartriges or a small battery operated pump? I'm sure it all depends on personal prefrence, but would like your opinion

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default Tire repair kits

Plug/patch kit with CO2. Only HAD to use it once so far, but worth the $20. This is the kit that I have. I did replace the CO2 inflator with one I picked up at the local bicycle shop.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Default Tire repair kits

I have similar kit [co2]made by Tusk from Rockymountainatv.com. Sorry I can't give a thred for it.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Tire repair kits

I got so tired of fixing leaks. Most of the time when you get a flat tire its because of a beed leak. If you do get a flat most of the time they can't fix it very well because theres very little rubber on the inside to stick the patch too. So I had all four tires tubed and have had no problems since.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:57 AM
Trailblazer
Default Tire repair kits

I BOUGHT A PLUG KIT FROM LES SCHWABS AND ITS WORKED FOR ME ON TRUCK TIRES TO QUAD TIRES. WE USUALLY BRING A COMPRESSOR THAT PLUGS INTO A POWER POINT ON THE 4X4S. IF YOU DONT HAVE THAT THEN THE CO2.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default Tire repair kits

Yea - a cheap compressor that plugs in the cigarette lighter can be had for $10 at Wally World, Targeh, Home Cheapo, bLowes etc..

The CO2 cartridges can start getting expensive.. and are usually one shot one use...

Old 04-29-2008, 05:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Tire repair kits

I have the $10 compressor from Walmart and it works good. I also have the ATV plug kit from Walmart. Another useful item to have is a can of starting fluid and a BBQ grill lighter. Sometimes the tires come off the rim and the starting fluid is a very dangerous way to BLOW it back on. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I used this trick just this past Sunday. A guy we were riding with jumped a hill and landed all the weight of his Rincon on the back left tire. Boom it blew it off the rim

Trending Topics

Old 04-29-2008, 05:42 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire repair kits

First off, I run Fix-a-Flat and high quality tires, and that takes care of any thorn size holes, and that is all I have ever had to worry about. Never had a flat of any kind out on the trail on my own machines....but I have to bail out other people all the time!

A compressor may work for ute riders who have room to spare, but not on a sport quad. I carry CO2 and tire plugs. All fits in a nice little box that doesn't take up much space in a Camelback HAWG pack. It takes one CO2 cartridge to find the leak, and one or two to get it up to where it is rideable again. I carry both tire plugs for big holes, and the thread style automotive ones for smaller ones.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Range Rover
Default Tire repair kits

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: reconranger

First off, I run Fix-a-Flat and high quality tires, and that takes care of any thorn size holes, and that is all I have ever had to worry about. Never had a flat of any kind out on the trail on my own machines....but I have to bail out other people all the time!

A compressor may work for ute riders who have room to spare, but not on a sport quad. I carry CO2 and tire plugs. All fits in a nice little box that doesn't take up much space in a Camelback HAWG pack. It takes one CO2 cartridge to find the leak, and one or two to get it up to where it is rideable again. I carry both tire plugs for big holes, and the thread style automotive ones for smaller ones.</end quote></div>

You put fix a flat in all your tires before you get a puncture? Does it affect the ride at all?

Old 04-30-2008, 12:06 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire repair kits

Yes, I put Fix-a-Flat in right after I mount the tires. Believe me, it has saved me from a lot of grief! I see guys out in the desert all the time with thorn hole flats, and this totally eliminates that.

I also tried Slime, but it eventually just dries up and leave you with nothing but a useless nasty crust inside the tire.

There is no adverse handling effects I can determine, even going 70 mph down a desert wash. Some folks worry about rim corrosion, seeing the tire is wet inside all the time, but I have had no problems (I inspect the rims carefully when I change tires).

I also exchange out the Fix-a-Flat propellant gas (just flat and refill it several times), so I have air in there and not something that has different expansion characteristics.

Quick Reply: Tire repair kits