Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Harder single rear spring = less understeer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 01:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Harder single rear spring = less understeer?

From what I've read on the subject (mostly pertaining to full-size autos) increasing the rear springs' hardness will decrease understeer/increase oversteer. Similarly, making the front springs softer will have a similar effect. The same supposedly holds true for tires. Assuming this is all correct, will adjusting the single rear spring on an ATV to make it stiffer increase oversteer, or would the rear suspension need to have a spring on each side in order to work?

I've only recently acquired my first ATV (an old '89 Warrior) but over the past few weeks I haven't been able to do much riding, so I've spent a lot of free time working on it and learning more about ATVs in general. I ask this particular question in a mostly hypothetical sense since I'm not really sure if I want/need to adjust my understeer since I haven't had a chance to ride my baby that much yet, so I'm not sure exactly what's going on with it.

As a bit of an aside, is the Wooly Booger tire company still in business?