Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

2004 Kawasaki Prairie 360 clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 04:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Kawasaki Prairie 360 clutch problems

so I'm working on this Prairie 360 for a friend. The clutch has some chatter to it but I haven't found any evidence of anything wrong specifically wrong. The cooling fins were rubbing, I since profiled them that is no longer a problem. The belt is still good but I purchased another just in case. When the clutch engages the belt squeals. Once fully engage it no longer squeals. This is the case with either belt. It is just on that initial engagement that the belt squeals. Additionally, it bothers me that I had to profile the fins on the primary clutch to begin with. That tells me that the primary clutch has shifted in board possibly? This would also tell me that my deflection is now off? I believe I've inserted enough information here hopefully someone can give me a couple directions I might go. Also, I did take this clutch down to a local mechanic motorcycle type! And a part of visual inspection he could find nothing wrong with it. He suggested I check the crank on the engine for backlash . I have found nothing to conclude the crank shaft bearings are bad. Thank you for reading this and hopefully I hear from you with something positive that helps

Old 02-26-2016, 09:38 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Toroake
so I'm working on this Prairie 360 for a friend. The clutch has some chatter to it but I haven't found any evidence of anything wrong specifically wrong. The cooling fins were rubbing, I since profiled them that is no longer a problem. The belt is still good but I purchased another just in case. When the clutch engages the belt squeals. Once fully engage it no longer squeals. This is the case with either belt. It is just on that initial engagement that the belt squeals. Additionally, it bothers me that I had to profile the fins on the primary clutch to begin with. That tells me that the primary clutch has shifted in board possibly? This would also tell me that my deflection is now off? I believe I've inserted enough information here hopefully someone can give me a couple directions I might go. Also, I did take this clutch down to a local mechanic motorcycle type! And a part of visual inspection he could find nothing wrong with it. He suggested I check the crank on the engine for backlash . I have found nothing to conclude the crank shaft bearings are bad. Thank you for reading this and hopefully I hear from you with something positive that helps
When the belt squeals, that means the belt is slipping. This is often caused by a worn belt and/or the belt deflection is in excess. If I remember correctly, the deflection should be between 22mm and 27mm, however, your manual should specify and also provide the procedure for the deflection adjustment...and it does require a specialty tool ( means of compressing the driven clutch/spring ). About the clutch rubbing the cover ( I think thats what you mean ), is the housing gasket present and in good condition?

Old 02-29-2016, 03:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Kawasaki Prairie clutch problem

I think it is important to know that the primary clutch was rubbing it's cooling find against the rear backing plate. This tells me that the clutch primary has shifted im against the rear backing plate. This tells me that the clutch primary has shifted in board. That said, deflection most likely is off. The question is why did the primary clutch shift in board? A visual observation doesn't show any obvious problems, wear, ect... I am capable of removing the spring assembly on the secondary clutch. The question is, whether I can remove enough s I am capable of removing the spring assembly on the secondary clutch. The question is, whether I can remove enough shim to correct the problem. One other thing, the primary clutch does clatter a lot while sitting there idling . Hey thank you for responding I really appreciate it. Mechanically inclined I am, learning the system I will. YouTube is a wonderful tool as long as you follow somebody who knows what they're doing. There are many people out there that aren't that good at what they think they're doing. If just removing shims for now correct the problem then that's fine. But my gut instinct tells me that that primary clutch has something wrong with it. Or, that crankshaft has shifted which makes is a bigger problem. Thanks again Tim O'Roake ever want to give me a call ; 541-292-7688 I'm in Cody Wyoming but still have an Oregon number