Repurposing a transmission - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Old 01-11-2017, 11:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Default Repurposing a transmission

So I have been mulling over an idea for a go cart transmission and cane to the conclusion that I want to shift gears. There isn't a lawnmower transmission out there that will handle the power I will be putting out so I want to take a small ATC/ATV engine, remove the top end and machine a new shaft to replace the crank and allow me to run a pulley on one end. I know it sounds crazy but these engines are all over. The transmission/clutch are bullet proof. I hate CVT's. And I have access to a complete machine shop full of students that are always looking for things to make. I think it would work quite well and when I fire up the Perkins that will be powering this cart it will be awesome to row through the gears with a little black cloud behind me.

So, what in wondering is how does the crank transfer power to the trans? Is it a removable gear in there or a chain? Also looking for a roached out machine that I can rob parts off of.
Thanks guys!
DS79
Old 01-12-2017, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

My gas model Arctic Cats have the manual 5 speed/with hi and low, transmission in the same housing as the motor, they share the same oil. But the Diesel has a separate 2 speed transmission and conventional CVT belt drive. What you are talking about is going to take something different. Easiest way to build a buggy would be find a rolled Arctic Cat, Suzuki, Honda etc with manual shift, and cannibalize everything and forget about the Perkins. You'd probably need a tractor transmission to bolt up to the Perkins.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrex View Post
My gas model Arctic Cats have the manual 5 speed/with hi and low, transmission in the same housing as the motor, they share the same oil. But the Diesel has a separate 2 speed transmission and conventional CVT belt drive. What you are talking about is going to take something different. Easiest way to build a buggy would be find a rolled Arctic Cat, Suzuki, Honda etc with manual shift, and cannibalize everything and forget about the Perkins. You'd probably need a tractor transmission to bolt up to the Perkins.
​​​​​​​That defeats the purpose of this build. The Perkins I'm using is rated at 13hp, is a 2cyl liquid cooled diesel. It weighs under 100lbs. If I wanted a quad I'd buy one, this may happen if I can't get this figured out but I'd really like to make this work if possible.