Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Questions for knowsalot

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2001, 12:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey knowsitnot(just a kidin) I have grown to enjoy, respect, and even agree with most of your posts athough there is sometimes a little harshness in your answers. So here goes and hopefully you're in a good mood!!

You have stated that you wouldn't recommend the 660 untill the bugs are worked out and it is understood that you do work on this brand but, how about the V-twin 650? Other than the choke cable or cables if you will, are there any other problems that you are seeing? A dealer explained to me that the new rear brake system is good for a min. of 3 yrs. before any service to it would be required which sounds like a lot of smoke to me. He continued to say that this system has been used in heavy eq. under extreme conditions for yrs. It seems to me that the wear of the pads in a closed oil bath would quickly become very dirty and wear prematurely.

The automatic is definately the way to go but I have a problem accepting the belt drive which most of the brands are goin with. This just seems like a very weak way to transfer power. It may be my lack of understanding it whereas with gears there is no question in how they work. Honda on the other hand is goin with a very complicated tranny which poeses a problem, for you see I am a simple man.

A long post I know but it is my first so bear with me. Athough this is directed to knowsalot anyones comment will be appreciated so thanks (I hope) in advance.

Old 12-09-2001, 09:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

hillbillywheeler,

I won't say i know alot but this is my opinion,you can't go wrong with these two,As for bugs i don't know i got 3 1/2 yrs warranty to find out.So far no problems.

It all boils down to what you like,myself i like the 650's low center of gravity,the places i ride(close to the hatfield/mcCoy area)this is an advantage on the steep mtn's,the 650 is not top heavy like some other atv's i have owned..
have fun..ride safe.

Old 12-20-2001, 07:53 PM
Trailblazer

im afrais its not alot of smoke beacause, being in farming, it is the same type of brakes a tractor has. and they last a long time in a tractor so think about how theyll do in a quad.
Ride on!
UC

Old 12-28-2001, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

hey wheeler!
i have also seen people post problems with the 660 grizzly. here is my thoughts on the bike. I love mine!!! i have been so hard on it, without even the littlest problem with it. people say the front left driveshaft comes loose, but mine hasent. as for water, i've had it to the tank in water and mud, without the belt slipping or it spuddering. i even tried jumping it, and launched it off a 3 ft jump at 40 mph. went 24 ft at a height of 6 ft. i do have the pics to proove it, but just cant figure out how to post them here, but when i do, you can check them out. now, if you know how i can post then in here, then by all means please let me know, lol. good luck buddy!!