Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Bandit 22x10-9 Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2000, 12:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '99 300EX and have recently replaced my worn stock tires with the new Bandit 22x10-9 size. The stock 300EX size is 22x10-9 mounted on 8"x9" wheels. I didn't want to get a shorter tire because I didn't want to sacrifice any ground clearance. The tires I had it narrowed down to were the All tracs, holeshot xct, and bandit AT. The All Tracs looked to "rounded" and utility'ish. They were also only 2 ply and were heavy. The Holeshot xct only comes in a 6 ply tire in a 22x11-9 size which calls for a 9" wide wheel and mine is only 8". I'm sure it would have worked but it would still be too wide. The are also very heavy and ridgid and from what i've read/heard suck in the mud (which I do ride in occasionally).
The Bandit AT is a 4 ply tire and is lighter than the Bandit XC which is 6 ply. With the limited power of the 300ex I figured that the 4 ply would be the better choice due to the lighter weight. They aren't as "flat" shaped as the holeshots but they aren't as "rounded" as the stock tires. They are much more stiff and ridged than the stock tires. The machine stays more level when cornering instead of rolling over some due to the flatter shape and stiffness. They hook up alot better than the worn stockers I had. It won't slide out as much around corners, it seems to grip alot more and there is much less wheel spin. I think this is definetly the best tire to get if you need a 22" tall tire.

RAD

Old 03-01-2000, 12:58 AM
Trailblazer

Just before Christmas I got a set of the new AT's in the size you mentioned to replace the crappy stock Dunlop's, and I absolutely love them. They hook up great on hard pack as well as loose stuff, and help my Warrior corner as if it's on rails when compared to the stockers--the only downside I've noticed is that they tend to dig themselves into a hole in really soft dirt or sand when starting from a dead stop. I went with the AT's over the XC's because at the time they were available in the new 22" size and the XC's were not. It's your choice though...go with the AT's if weight is an issue, or the XC's if you need the added durability. Also, do a search on "Bandit" as there have been a lot of conversations in the past.

Old 03-02-2000, 09:29 AM
Range Rover

If it wouldnt be too much trouble, could either of you measure the actual diameter of this tire. Is it a true 22 inches or is it smaller like the 20 inch bandits. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-02-2000, 10:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

I haven't measured the tire, but I put the 22" bandit up against the 22" stock worn tires and the bandit was about a half inch shorter. It has a "flatter" profile than the more rounded stockers.

RD

Old 03-02-2000, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

I have a pair of 22x10x10 Bandit ATs on my Blaster. New at 5 psi, they are 21.5" tall. I have about 250 miles on them so far and I've been very impressed. Much more traction than the stockers ot the Sur-Traks ever had. However, the added traction does make powersliding a little harder. After a while you get used to it and can still pull out sprint car moves. Doughnuts are out unless you have 250R/Banshee power because these tires will grip and 2-wheel on you if you aren't carefull. A little extra width would be appreciated here. On wider, more powerfull machines this should not be a concern.

The best part of having 22" tires is when you look back and see that the 400EX following you just got hung up on some rut.

Why can't I get the messed up sig off?

Old 03-02-2000, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

My Holeshot XCT's fit fine on the stock rims. They love the mud but they really really hate the snow. They are awsome on hardpack. But it is all personal preference.

Old 03-03-2000, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider

everyone is saying to get the 22" ones but I want the 20". I know I might lose a little clearence but is there anything else wrong with them? I wonder what the weight difference is between the 22" at's and the 20" xc's? later

Old 03-03-2000, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider

If you don't need the ground clearance, get the shorter tires. It will sit an inch lower, so stability should improve. The only disadvantage is that it will gear th bike down. You may like the lower gearing, but if not you will need a new larger front sprocket, or a smaller rear sprocket.

Old 03-06-2000, 06:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

I finally had a good chance to test the 22x10-9 Bandits out this weekend. I went to a poker run where there were hundreds of ATV's and motorcycles. It was extremely muddy and technical. Many roots and muddy hills to climb. I was very impressed with the performance of the 22" bandits. Compared to the worn stock tires I had it was a tremendous difference. I could handle mud much more easily. Before where I wouldn't even attempt to go through some mud holes this time it would easily go through. On my 300ex it was definitly a muddy ride. As I would pass utility atv's I would be covered in mud where they would hardly have a spec on them. The bandits really do throw the mud around. I couldn't imagine a much better tire for the kind of riding I do.

RAD

Old 03-06-2000, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

I have the 20" XC on my modified 250r and they spin a good bit but they seem to get the quad moveing as fast as i can want. In snow they were not to good they seem to dig down good and throw lots of snow like 20' when the tires get spining a lot like in 5th gear do not rock or put weight on one one peg they will spin you right around (very very scary when going over 35MPH) I didn't put very much weight on one peg going about 35-40MPH with about 3"-4" of snow and it flung me right around like nothing. I heard the 20" stated on tire in XC's are 20" but the AT's are like 18"

Quick Reply: Bandit 22x10-9 Review