Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

ELKA suspension "no preload"

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 11:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ELKA suspension "no preload"

Try to contact them sooner and I think you would save having to apy for that stuff. I have had an ongoing open discussion with them and they have covered everything so far. I know that we cant expect them to warranty everything but I think they are fair with correcting set up problems. Then again it wouldnt hurt if you purchased them from a better dealer also.

Old 01-19-2003, 12:54 PM
Range Rover

It was my understanding that Elkas didnt make a no preload, but rather ssd, Self Sagging..I bought mine through Cd racing.. Colby set mine up perfect, very little dialing in on them..

Old 01-19-2003, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider

isn't SSD and Zps basically the same thing? That little spring that lets you use the rest of the shock length asn keeps tension on the springs when the quad is in the air and the shocks extend. Not that I know what I'm talking about but I'm just saying.

Old 01-27-2003, 07:06 AM
Pro Rider

SSD and ZPS is the same thing, they are just proprietary names for the same system. No preload shocks are designed to keep the ride height low for cornering, absorb small bumps and fully extend on jumps.

I'm not surprised as to you not getting many responses. These suckers are EXPENSIVE and are mostly used on MX machines. Because the quad now sits so low, it isn't much help in XC riding where you have to clear obstacles.

Old 01-27-2003, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider

Cant you adjust how high/low the top collar sits to control the ride hieght? I understand it would be a waste to buy zps style shocks and have them sit just as high as non-zps shocks but couldn't you set it up so that you only lowered the quad an inch or inch in a half if you wanted to?

Old 01-27-2003, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider

I would like some information on the performance of these shocks and the reputation of the party i'm doing business with. Your feedback, if any, is greatly appreciated.
Allmost forgot to tell you this. I am still waiting for rick to call me back on a used set of works fronts I had wanted to test before I got the Elka's, that was last april and yes I left him more messages [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

I also know you could have done better, try C&D racing 308 696 7805 and they will hook you up.

I'm not surprised as to you not getting many responses. These suckers are EXPENSIVE and are mostly used on MX machines. Because the quad now sits so low, it isn't much help in XC riding where you have to clear obstacles.
Take a look around you and you will see ZPS and SSD all over XC racing. Think about this, its not really the frame height that your worried about getting hung up on but rather the rear axle and skid plate. These are not effected by the ride height but rather the tire diameter. So yes this style of shock is very popular in XC racing.

Cant you adjust how high/low the top collar sits to control the ride hieght? I understand it would be a waste to buy zps style shocks and have them sit just as high as non-zps shocks but couldn't you set it up so that you only lowered the quad an inch or inch in a half if you wanted to?
You absolutely can adjust the ride height, and you should if you want the machine to handle well. There are many factors in correctly setting up the suspension on a quad and these will determine everything form ride height to spring rates to valving etc. Problem is that unless your shock mfg comes to you and sets you bike up and then makes changes it will only be close at best, and close is still 1000x better than stk.

Now you could expect to loose about 2-4 inches of "frame" clearence with the elka ssd front and rear depending on how you set up the ride height and which length a-arms and std or long travel length shocks. You will notice the diff especially the first time you make a turn, its much more stable.

Old 01-27-2003, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider

440EX that starts when you push the start button, every time
Hmm, perhaps that's where I went wrong. I should get the 440 kit for mine. It's still a bear to start, but oddly enough is getting better everytime I run it.

Old 02-16-2003, 11:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'd just like to know how your 400 EX starts the first time you hit the button........ Mine doesn't, rejetting helped. This is why I drink......

Old 02-18-2003, 08:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

I talked to the owner of elka at the indy trade show and he said to send him my shocks and he would fix them and if needed replace them so they should be good after that.

Old 02-18-2003, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

glad to hear that you are getting your shocks fixed
i have had mine for about a week now but still no head
so i dont know what they ride like[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: ELKA suspension "no preload"