Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Are They Trying To Rip Me Off?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 11:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Four days ago my dad brought the King to the shop to have the rear wheels checked out. I found out that it is almost for sure the bearings that were causeing the wheeles to wobble. That day I woke up around noon (it was my day off) and didn't have a chance to tell him what I found before he took it in to the shop.My dad said an old mechanic jacked up the back end and saw the wheels wobble. They guy said he had never seen or heared of such a thing before. He told my dad that they would need to take the engine out and crack the lower crank case where the axles comes out of the lower engine. To me none of this sounds right. Are they trying to screw me? Will this be covered under the extended warrenty? If not what might the bill be?

Old 08-31-2002, 03:47 AM
Range Rover

If it's just hub bearings that you need I can't imagine any need to remove the engine. I can service the ones on my 93 King Quad without touching the motor. Worn wheel bearings aren't uncommon and will certainly cause some wheel wobble. If the guy said he'd need to remove and crack the engine case based solely on seeing wobbly wheels, then something doesn't seem right to me either. It doesn't seem like Suzuki would have made any changes that would cause servicing the bearings to be that much of a pain. It is possible that the shop is trying to do a number on you. If that's the case, neither you nor Suzuki should get stuck with having to pay for unnecessary work or charges. My advice is call Suzuki and talk to a technician about the situation.

John

Old 09-18-2002, 01:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

i also have a '99 king quad. not long ago, i noticed a noise from the rear end. so jacked up the bike and removed the wheels. after playing with the axles, i noticed that there was a great amount of play in them. they should be snug. i was going to replace them myself but ran out of time for my trip. i had a shop do it for $95 parts and labor. problem fixed. it sounds like he may be tring ti give it to you.

Old 09-18-2002, 04:14 PM
Range Rover

That's one reason why I bought a factory service manual. Cuts down on the chances of getting dinged by a shop because I'll fix it myself! ..or attempt to anyway. :-)

John