Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Titan 589 rating

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2000, 10:31 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am interested in the Titan 589 however I have not found a good source of information on what rating this tire has, 4ply 6ply?I called Titan and did not get an answer,other than the 589 has a 3 star rating.
I currently have the 489s and think the 589 would be a little better in mud conditions.Anyone have experience with the 589s?

Old 04-13-2000, 12:30 PM
Trailblazer

I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO SEE A REVIEW, COMPARISON, OR TEST OF ANY SORT EITHER. I HEARD THEY ARE GOOD BUT CAN'T FIND GOOD PICTURES OF THEM EITHER. ANYONE GOT SOME PICS OF THEIR BIKE WITH 589'S?

Old 04-13-2000, 12:39 PM
Range Rover

Recently I had the chance to spend a couple of hours at a large tire warehouse and base the following comments on the measurements and observations that provided, along with talks with the employess and their customers comments. The rating system is getting a little confusing in that the old ply system is subject to actual construction, or rated plys. Many of the new tires are using a sub-structure casing which can provide very effective puncture resistance. Therefore someones 4ply maybe just as pucture resistant as some 6 plys. After looking at a Goodyear Mud-Runner, as thick and stiff as it is it is hard to imagine that it is not a lot tougher than some other 4ply rated tires. I was told that the star rating system was used to try and simplify things. The 3 star rating is as high as they go. The Titan 589 is a 3-star rated tire, however if you handled both a 589 and a Vampire you would say the Vampire is tougher! However let me use a deer rifle as an example. How big is big enough, maybe we all don't need to shoot 338 Magnums! At some point if you ride in a variety of conditions things like ride, grip in different rock and soil, and snow combinations come into play. Therefore tough enough maybe good enough when viewed in the all-around picture. Hell, no matter what rating they can all get punctured. If narly deep mud is your main stay it is easier to make a decision for there are less variables, get the biggest amd baddest mud tires. By the way the 589's looked like they would mud, ride on the trail great(center riding pads), and have great traction out of the mud. They don't appear to be the toughest of the tough but are in the heavy-duty, stiff bad-boy class and require some horse power to turn them. They also have a 25" size which maybe perfect for the Rancher class machine, however they are only offered in a 12" diameter rim size which would require purchasing 2 rims for the back of the Rancher. Finally there are wide tolerances in the actual diameter and width of all these tires from vendor to vendor. Someones 25" maybe 24.5-25.25 same case holds for the 26" and 27" sizes by all vendors. Some of the tread width is plus or minus 3/4 ", ie 10" is really 10 3/4". Therefore don't beieve the advertisments measure them, this will have much more of an affect on the mid-size engines than the big-bores. I had no real appreciation for the actual weight of some of these tires. After hualing them from the rack to the scale and back it became pretty clear that you were going to lose alot of power if you oversized too much. Hell some of these tires weight close to a large bag of softner salt, then multiple times four. In summary maybe the best choice for the all around rider is in the catagory of "aggressive good enough", back to my rifle example 7mm-Mag.-300-Mag. By the way it was a lot of fun messing with all these tires, there are a lot of choices and a lot of good tires. Buckfever

Old 04-13-2000, 12:41 PM
Range Rover

This has been all I could find so far
CARDOCTOR Feb-21-00, 07:19 PM (EST)
3. " Mud runners vs.589"
READ AN ARTICLE IN ATV MAGAZINE SEPTEMBER 99 MUD TIRE TEST TITAN 589 AMAZED US WITH EXCEPTIONAL PERFORMANCE IN THE MUD AND OUT TO BE OVERALL WINNER OF THIS MUD TEST AFTER I READ THIS ARTICLE I WAS SOLD AS SOON AS THEY BECOME MORE PLENTIFUL IM GOING TO PUT 25"ON MY WOLVERINE GIVE ME YOUR E MAIL AND ILL SEND YOU THE ARTICLE

Old 04-13-2000, 12:56 PM
Range Rover

Buckfever:
Thanks for the in-depth answer and your first hand experience.The people at Ttian told me about the same thing on the ply rating.I was just trying to find out how they may compare to other tires since most of us still use the "ply rating"
I do alot of riding on the farm where I live,and due to sharp objects that I sometimes encounter would like to have a somewhat heavy tire.

Old 04-13-2000, 07:39 PM
Trailblazer

Yea . but did you mean 300 H&H or 308 Norma or Win or Weatherby Magnum there is a big difference .

Old 04-13-2000, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

Also in that article in ATV Magazine, all the tires they were testing were 27". Except the Titan 589s were only 25". (27" were not avaliable yet) They said they had to keep looking over the fenders to make sure they were only 25s and not 27s. They said the 25s pulled just as good, if not better then all the other 27s.