Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

St. Anthony update

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 01:40 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default St. Anthony update

The BLM campground is going to be open July 1, next Tuesday. We were going to open it up sooner, but the contractor made sure he took his full alotted time and we could not begin putting up fencing and signs in the new camp area until after the final walk through.
Its been cold and super windy up there lately. I didn't do hardly any riding myself. Crowds were pretty slim too. We are expecting a whole bunch for the 4th though.
I can assure you that the BLM camping area at Egin Lakes will be open by the 1st though. I just got done building a bunch of fencing yesterday and will be building more on Thursday.

Oh by the way, I am not the BIG ranger there. I am the other guy. This is my third summer out at the dunes, so I probably would recognize a few of you folks. I only have internet on my days off, so my postings will be sporadic. If you have any questions though, just give me a holler.

See you at the dunes.

Old 06-25-2003, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider

THANK YOU BLM Ranger for posting!!!!!!!!!!! I may have met you, I talk to the "big" guy often but met some others while helping an 18 year old kid by the lake who dumped his dirt bike on the rocks by the lake, no helmet, drinking, etc. on the day the official left that scene and got hit at Crapo corner. You guys have not the easiest job and I think you're all great. There's a lot of folks who appreciate you, whether you hear it or not. Thanks again, and don't be afraid to post all you want!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] Shady

Old 06-25-2003, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

We will be there over the 4th. Is the overnite camping area open back by the trees in the sand?? Heard there was a dispute between BLM and a "so called owner" of the land.

Old 06-26-2003, 12:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

The sandy area back by the trees is not included in the campground. There is a dispute with the landowner that is currently in litigation. In order to avoid the court delay, BLM decided to put the fence on what was originally thought to be the property line, hence cutting out the trees.

All the camping spots are graveled in. There are still some sandy areas, but there will be a fence surrounding the gravel area in order to keep vehicles from totally ruining the grade. You will be able to put tents up and such in the sandy area, but alas there are no trees.

This fall we will resume construction on the campground. We will be drilling a well, putting up picnic shelters, fire rings, and planting trees. Eventually, the main road will be paved in.

Shady Rascal-I wasn't at that accident. I was over on the other side while all that was going on.

Talk to ya all later...gotta go back to work tomorrow.

Old 06-26-2003, 04:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: BLMRanger

Oh by the way, I am not the BIG ranger there. I am the other guy. This is my third summer out at the dunes, so I probably would recognize a few of you folks. I only have internet on my days off, so my postings will be sporadic. If you have any questions though, just give me a holler.

See you at the dunes.
You know, you are the first BLM guy that even acts nice. I really like Idaho.
Oregon and Washington BLM guys can kiss my bohemian.

St. Anthony rules, man, we loved it when we were there last month (We were the suzuki z400's on nitrous with the dog.)

Thanks for all your help! We found choke cherry real easy. and THANKS FOR YOU AND YOUR FRIEND DRIVING out there and putting guide signs up! You are one cool dude.

here is one of our Z's going up choke cherry!
www.geocities.com/dvd7001/

Old 06-27-2003, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the update BLMRanger. It's nice to see some rangers on here giving updates!
I think I met you 2 weeks ago? You were on a Raptor setting up signs that had blown over? I was on a red TRX250R over near Sand Hills.

Will there ever be hook-ups at the BLM camp site? Mainly water?

We will be back next summer and hope to camp closer to the big dunes!

Thanks,
Mike

Old 06-27-2003, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider

BLMRanger, thanks for the update. It's good to have the word straight from the source. I'll say howdy if I see you over the 4th of July weekend.

Old 06-28-2003, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

Has anyone seen the new camping area, what is it like? can you get a fairly large camper in there? pull through sites? Any more info would be great.

I wonder how early you would have to be there to get one of these spots? Any thoughts?

I am debating coming up, but not sure what I would be getting myself into.

thanks for any more info

Bat

Old 06-29-2003, 01:02 AM
Jwb
Range Rover

SWEEEEET hope you all have fun over the 4th will miss ya but will make it the weekend after also is the sand soft as in hard to climb just thought i'd ask.

Old 06-29-2003, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider

The last report I heard was from Hightower up in the bombardier forum and he said the sand was really soft, he was there about two weeks ago. I dont know if they got any of this last rain that blasted us, but that may have packed it down abit.

Bat

Quick Reply: St. Anthony update