Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

dune buggy/sand rail questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 12:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dune buggy/sand rail questions

Im just wonderin what motor everyone is running in there dune buggy and how its set up. If the motor was out of a front wheel drive or rear wheel drive car? Is it automatic or manual? What the chassis your useing and how much it cost or if you made is your self? Im wonderin all this because im wanting to start building one and want to get some ideas for what i should use. Ive got (3) 2.5 pontiac 4 bangers with automatic trannys all FWD. I think one could make a nice buggy to get around on and play in the feilds and with when its muddy.

thanks in advance for all the advice.
(sorry for all the mispelling)

Old 10-18-2003, 02:49 AM
Pro Rider

i don't know how u will make a 4WD buggy, but it would definately be awesome, especially in the mud and dunes. me, my friend, and my friend's dad rebuilt a used buggy that his dad bought. we completely re-made the frame, roll cage, and made it a 4 seater. it's a 1700cc volkswagon Beetle engine with manual VW bus tranny. it seemed to do fine the first time we took it out, we blew out both rear shocks on our first jump tho. u will definately wanna go with somethin more powerful than 1700cc tho, my 400EX beats that buggy in a drag race. the auto tranny will be nice if u get the shift timing right. u might want to look into buying a used buggy and fixin it and changin it. try www.cycletrader.com i have their latest issue of mag and their r some awesome buggy's in there. good luck, and have fun!

Old 10-18-2003, 02:53 AM
Pro Rider

o ya, my friend's dad builds sets for movies so we got all the metal free and machined it ourselves. he bought the buggy for 3500 bucks, and we put a grand into it. we bough a new oil pressure gauge, a new volt gauge, and new tachometer, paint, a lot of oil, seals and gaskets, wiring, and a battery. for 4500 bucks we rebuilt everything but the tranny (we made a new shifter) and the engine.

Old 10-18-2003, 09:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

yeah i think a 4wd would be sweet to but im on a really tight budget and dont have any 4wd's sitting around. Does anyone any one know a place to get a chassis real cheap?
thanks for the help CroBiker

Old 10-26-2003, 09:31 PM
Trailblazer

most of them run a pinto motor

Old 10-27-2003, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

My uncle has a 2 seater with a snowmobile engine and it's soo much fun you dont know weather to pee your pants or cry. It's like the frekin space shuttle when you go up a hill.

Old 10-28-2003, 01:25 AM
HA2
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like the air cooled VW (most buggies run) and subaru motors.

Old 10-28-2003, 01:59 AM
Pro Rider

the best combo i've seen is a souped up subaru motor with a porshe 911 tranny. or a beefed up auto tranny. of course the buggies that run this cost 50 grand +

Old 10-28-2003, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive got (3) 2.5 pontiac 4 bangers with automatic trannys all FWD

I think he meant Front wheel drive, not Four wheel drive

Old 10-28-2003, 10:41 PM
Trailblazer

One of my friends dad's running a long travel 4 seater, with a toyota trd motor with nitrous, and I think it's got a turbo charger. it's about a 40k setup. He is also building one of those lil' 2 seaters with a 1300cc suz hyabusa motor. I think the buggies with the caddy motors are sweet!

Quick Reply: dune buggy/sand rail questions