Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Need Dune riding Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 09:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Dune riding Advice

I have been going to the Silver Lake dunes in my Jeeps ever since I could drive. This season coming up will be my first with my bikes. My question is how do you go back down the backside of a dune? should you but it on 2nd of 3rd and compression brake down, hold in the clutch and coast, or try your best to allelarate down? does it just come down to personal preferance of is one meathod safer for you and the bike? Thanks in advance.

Old 01-05-2004, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

1STwarrior-I am not sure if you are asking about descending a hill on a dirt bike or a quad but in both cases one very important thing to remember is to (not) use your front brake when going down hill.I personally like to go downhill in a gear that will give me adequate compression braking if i need it but will also allow for enough acceleration if i need it and only you can know what gear that will be for your particular quad.As far as holding in the clutch and coasting down a hill that is also a bad idea so i would avoid it.I ride the sand a lot here in oregon and i see a lot of the z 400 suzukis out there and they seem to do well so i am sure you will enjoy it.

Old 01-05-2004, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

Going down the steep side of a sand dune.....I find the best way for beginners is 1st gear and no brake. Sometimes a little brake but dont lock up rear tires or put much pressure on front. Later you will try 2nd or 3rd.

Old 01-06-2004, 12:25 PM
Trailblazer

Z quads are very stable in the sand.
Try using 1st or 2nd down the hills.
As others have said use compression braking.

Old 01-06-2004, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

I just started riding this past summer.1st time i went to silver lk was on a warrior. 2nd time on my x.
Both times i went ,i found myself accelerating on the downhill runs. Maybe i got used to riding fast,
i dont know. Best advice i got was try the small hills first,then do test hill. Ego didnt let me.
And i had a blast both days. sorry so long. But i love riding.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-06-2004, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider

When we go riding the dunes, once you have cleared the top and have a straight shot down, you had better be accelerating getting ready for the next dune, or you will get left behind.

Old 01-06-2004, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

Brian t there is that also. everybody i ride with has years of experiance.So i had to learn fast
or beeatin sand.

Old 01-06-2004, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

Don't haul *** over a dune unless you know what's on the other side, cuz you might come across a razor back and end up flying down to the bottom....

Old 01-06-2004, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: AlphaRaptor660R
Don't haul *** over a dune unless you know what's on the other side, cuz you might come across a razor back and end up flying down to the bottom....
This is also very good advice.

Old 01-06-2004, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

I just roll 'em @ the top and run the appropriate gear (2nd is usually good) down - never like locking the brake. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

You'll get the hang of it - and you'll find that it's always different.

Quick Reply: Need Dune riding Advice