Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Stock KFX w/Paddles, Do I need to Gear Down

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 03:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock KFX w/Paddles, Do I need to Gear Down

Im taking my new KFX 400 to Glamis this weekend. Its stock. I picked up some 8 paddle Edges for it. I've heard guys talk about changing the countershaft sprocket for more low end. Anyone with experience on this topic? Thanks alot.

Old 01-13-2004, 03:13 PM
KGB
Pro Rider

Yeah, I have that set up, well close, I have both 8 paddle haulers and 7 paddle. The 7 paddle haulers are the best IMO, espicially if you weigh over 2hundy.
Drop to a 13 tooth up front and you will be hapy in the dunes. Its not he best mod for wide open trails, but the dunes, for sure.

Old 01-13-2004, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suggest riding it first, before making calculated changes. When I first got my quad it was bone stock, but could climb hills screaming in 3rd. Then I piped it and put boyesen reeds in and figured that I could gear up, so I added a tooth to the front and it was a mistake. It would not climb as well. Moral of the story, test first, then change, and go by what you feel, not by what others have done. Each case is unique

Old 01-13-2004, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

Unless your planing on drag racing, I don't think it will be necessary to gear down. You should test it out first like the other person said. Then if you'd like, go ahead and drop a tooth. It's not a lot of work anyway, and you could even do it over there...

Old 01-13-2004, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A front sproket is only about $10 I think. I'd go ahead and buy it, and take it with you. Run your stock gearing for the first few runs, then switch and do the same stuff. Let us know what you think! I'm looking at buying a KFX400 soon, so I'm curious!

Old 01-13-2004, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, thats the good way to do it.

Old 01-19-2004, 03:23 AM
Range Rover

Hey Slacker1Bob where do you ride at besides Glamis.I'm always looking for places to ride and people to ride with. I live in Moreno Valley and work in Riverside.

Old 02-13-2004, 01:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

I agree with the others. Try running it stock first. My cousin has the Z400 and runs all stock with sand shark paddles. No problem there! For me, I have stock gearing and motor on my rappy w/sand sharks and have no problems screaming up the dunes...especially in 3rd! (maybe because its a Rappy!)

Good Luck!

Old 02-18-2004, 03:11 AM
Trailblazer

I ran my Kfx stock for awhile. Then went down a tooth in front. First off, you'll notice that first gear gets really short. Basically you can just bypass first gear. You also hit the rev limiter quickly. And the front end like to go up more. I've heard that if you trail ride alot, you go down a gear. For more open spaces, stay with the stock gearing. I will be switching back to the 14 tooth for my next ride. Just to see the difference again. You can always go down a tooth and then get 22 inch tires. If you keep your quad completely stock(engine mods) with sand paddles, go down a tooth anyways. The paddles and the sand will rob power. 13 tooth will give more torque.

Larry

Old 02-18-2004, 04:04 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run a K&N with Outerwears, vented airbox lid, FMF PowerBomb header and Ti-4 muffler, and stock gearing. The motor mods more than make up for the lost horsepower in the sand! Sure it is way more expensive, but it is something you will eventually need to do anyway. This engine really likes to BREATHE!

Quick Reply: Stock KFX w/Paddles, Do I need to Gear Down