Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

what's the best new quad for dunes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what's the best new quad for dunes?

Definitely go 4 stroke for the dunes! 2 strokes require alot of shifting in the dunes, and suspension is lacking. The reason that 2 strokes ruled the dunes for so long is that the 4 strokes could not muster enough power for the sand. Not so now! The Raptor has alot of power, but is too short and narrow compared to others. There are only three that I would look at (all will do great) Yamaha 450, Honda 450, and the DS650. I ride, and love the DS, but I am 6'4" 225lbs, and need the bigger bike.

Old 02-17-2004, 08:37 PM
Trailblazer

ShadyRasca
You took the words right out of my mouth.
All though I am looking for a DS650 for my friend, The DS650 was built for the dunes It is a Bigger bike and it would fit my friend better than any other bike , he is 6'7" tall.

Old 02-17-2004, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

At 6'7", the DS is the ONLY quad for your friend... which is good news for him, because it's also the best in the dunes. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-18-2004, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider

DS, Banshee, and Raptor are the best bikes for the Dunes IMO. The YFZ is too small and uncomftarble, where at the sand you do a lot more sitting. The Raptor is lighter then the DS. And has torque to the point where its frightening. The Banshee, do I have too explain?? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. And the DS, bit on the heavy side, but has a broad powerband like the Raptor, and suits the bigger riders like the Raptor does, the two machines are very similar. Its just the Raptor has reverse to top it all off, but reverse isnt THAT neccessary in the dunes, but can come in handy at some times. I love my Raptor to death, and that torque and thrill it gives me wont ever be replaced. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-18-2004, 01:56 AM
Range Rover

dont knock the banshee.my banshee has beat everybike i have raced thru whoops.it rides like a cadillac and makes 77 rwhp and 43 ft lbs which inst bad for a bike that can cruz the dunes.im runnin leager mx arm +2 +1 ,works triple rate remote rezzy,ohins rear,durablue eliminator + 4 axle,and a +5 stock extended swing arm.i can tug my 250 lb *** and my friends 250lbs *** up a hill im 3rd off the pipe.of all the bikes i have ridden i think a banshee is pretty damn comfortable for cruzin the dunes.i havent ridden a ds yet.i would like to but dont know anyone with 1.

Old 02-18-2004, 02:00 AM
Pro Rider

I'm 6'5 and love my rappy. BUt lets be honest, the banshee has one reason for living, dunes!!! There is not a quad made yet that replaces the shee, thats why its still around! now, if your looking for and enjoyable ride in the sand with plenty of power, the rap and ds are it. If you want to fly around the dunes without competition go with the shee

Old 02-18-2004, 02:25 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DrZero
I'm interested in freestyling, just fun riding, hill climbing, some jumps. Drag racing is not a major concern.........I am 6' and 210 lbs.
I think it is important to look at the question here.
The Banshee it a popular dune machine for sure but not the most user friendly of the bunch.
The DS is a neat machine for sure, but not my choice for "just fun riding".
We need to not fall into the "fastest is always best" trap.

Sounds to me like you would have the most fun on either a Z-400/KFX or a Raptor.

Old 02-18-2004, 02:53 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Spoke with My Service Manager (for the company I work for - NOT for quad dealership) he took his DS for his first trip to the dunes - new to the sport. He is about 5'10 and 225#. He had a great time which I was glad to hear since I suggested the DS. He also rode another Buddy's Raptor and found it uncomfortable and cramped. He felt the dfference that it was a much more comfortable ride.

Old 02-18-2004, 04:07 AM
RPM
Pro Rider

I've heard a lot about the DS, Rappy, 450's and the Shee, and I have to say that I pretty much agree with most of what is being said. Here is my input anyway.

Shee is King of the Dunes, but not necessarily in it's stock form. So unless you are willing to spend some money, there may be better choices out there.

Raptor is a well balanced Quad, good torque good acceleration and it responds well to even the smallest of mods. Not to mention, it does have reverse.

DS was built for the wide open spaces of the Dunes, and probably has the plushest ride of any of the big bore ATV's, and what more can you say about the Rotax motor, truly a rock solid powerhouse with almost unlimited potential.

YFZ450 is fast, nimble and hauls a$$ over and through anything, including the sand. Probably the most well balanced quad on the market (Along with the 450R). Responds to even the simplest of mods, with incredible results. Seat is HARD as a ROCK and it might be a little small for larger riders.

Z/KFX/EX 400's are fun, very capable quads, but are definitely not in the same league power wise, as the rest of the quads mentioned.

The one that no one has talked about is the KFX700. I originally had mixed feeling about my 700 as a Dune quad. It's heavy, and tends to use a lot of fuel, but the more time I spend on it, the more I enjoy riding it in the sand. The 700 climbs anything and everything I have thrown at it. The best part is that it continues to accelerate no matter how big the hill is. The Torque is addictive and the mods are starting to hit the market, including some 800cc kits as well as numerous Clutch components. It is by far the easiest to ride. Is it the "Best" dune quad? I don't think so. Is it a contender to the crown? It could be. Is it Fun to dune on? You bet it is. So don't count it out, especially if you are a full figured guy.

Old 02-18-2004, 12:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

well spoken rpm. Ive riden everything mentioned above at the dunes except the ds so I cant comment on that bike but heres my 2 cents. Banshee is a 2 stroke and is great for a 2 stroke rider. Raptor, well we call our friends raptor a craptor. He just hasnt had good luck mechanically. yfz450 I think the funnest to ride but very uncomfortable after awile. My z400 not enough power stock (Im working on that). Verdict is out on the 450r seems to be more comfortable but without electric start and reverse I dont think its a great dune machine. Predator 500 a real contender in this catagory, comfortable with lots of power, turns great. And of course my V is very easy to ride in the dunes. I always have way more power than I need. Its very comfortable and easy to ride. The biggest draw backs Ive noticed is the turning capabilities. Since im new to atv riding that very well could be me, "the bonehead rider". So my suggestion is get a V for power and Hill climbing then buy a yfz450 to have fun on. If you cant do that make friends with someone who can....

Quick Reply: what's the best new quad for dunes?