Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

St Anthony's. When is the best time of the year to ride?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default St Anthony's. When is the best time of the year to ride?

Duneme, I hope you are coming the first weekend in August to Dunefest. If so, hope to see ya there. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Thrasher, I dont worry too much about heat. I was stationed in 29 Palms for years..but convincing the wife and kids to go camping in the sand with blazing heat....they point at the watertoys and protest.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

MrDS650, Ill have to look at the calendar and try to fit the trip for a few days in June. It would be great to see you and the Mrs. again and do some shoots up ChokeCherry.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Thanks for the info RPWeasle, Ill check it out!

Ken

Old 02-25-2004, 04:04 PM
Range Rover

My wife and I will be at St Anthony's June 22-25, camping at Desert oasis. Really looking forward to riding there[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-25-2004, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Trasher
I live in So. Cal and ride late into the season. What's "too hot" to you??
Above 95 and people head for the tents here. Probably nothing to you guys. But then its below freezing for 9 god dam months of the year here too. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-25-2004, 08:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The Oregon trip is July 12-16. We have a big enough group that we prefer to avoid some of the big events.

Need to pick out a week in June for St. A's for next year.

June 12-18

or

June 19-25

I am leaning towards the 12-18. Full moon on the 22nd but better to be there before the full moon than have it in the middle of when we are there probably. The days after the full moon, the moon rises too late in the evening to do any good.

Old 02-26-2004, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those of you going to St. A's the weekend of June 12th, where will you be staying? We've never been there, and don't know anything about it. We will just be tenting it, so are there restrooms, running water and such? Also, do you need to make reservations?

Old 02-28-2004, 05:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

June 21-26. Desert Oasis. Been going to St. Anthony for about 20yrs now. Anyone new needing a tour of the place let me know.

Old 02-28-2004, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

ryangibson. There are outhouses at the elgin lakes site, and I think there is water too. The sand hills oasis campground has water and restrooms, I think they even have showers (not sure we don't camp there it is only 30 minutes drive for us. They have been working on and making the elgin lakes site bigger. There is not much shade so bring a shade cover of some kind. Great Dunes though, make sure you have your flags and current reg stickers. St. Anthony is only 10 minutes away from the dunes if you need something from a store.

Old 02-28-2004, 09:57 PM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!

We will be there around the 12th and are going to be staying at The Sand Hills Resort. As much bad rap as Mean Gean (the owner) gets it is still the best place to stay if you are tenting. All the spots are on nice grass, there are showers and bathrooms - not the cleanest - but useable. The owner (Gene) inforces a 10pm quiet hour - meaning you have to be in the campground with your machine shut off by 10 - no expections !!!

Old 02-28-2004, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MRDS650
We will be there around the 12th and are going to be staying at The Sand Hills Resort. As much bad rap as Mean Gean (the owner) gets it is still the best place to stay if you are tenting. All the spots are on nice grass, there are showers and bathrooms - not the cleanest - but useable. The owner (Gene) inforces a 10pm quiet hour - meaning you have to be in the campground with your machine shut off by 10 - no expections !!!
As nice as it is to not have people screaming through camp at all hours of the morning, that's not good news for people that like to do night rides...

Old 02-28-2004, 10:40 PM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!

Very true - but i find when we are down there if you do an early morning ride - 8:00am and an evening ride 5-10pm that enough for me. Then you can still sit around the fire and have a few beers.

Quick Reply: St Anthony's. When is the best time of the year to ride?