Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

St. Anthony Dunes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default St. Anthony Dunes?

We just got back from St. Anthony, and the dunes there are the best I have been to yet. I think they are better than Dumont, better than Coral Pink, better than the Hurricane Dunes, and better than even Sand Mountain Utah. We stayed at Sand Hills Resort, which is right on the edge of the dunes, and has lots of big trees for shade, with all of the camp sites on grass lawns.

I couldn't believe how big the total area covered by dunes is. From Sand Hills Resort to Choke Cherry Hill, which is at the other end of the dunes, it is something like 15 to 18 miles of nothing but sand dunes. My son and I followed the "designated route" signs, and pretended we were racing each other in the Dakar Rally, LOL. What a blast, 18 miles of wide open racing through the dunes; it doesn't get any better than that.

There are so many dunes at St. Anthony that you can find just about anything there. The hillclimbs at Thunder Hill and Choke Cherry Hill were fun, but I had more fun railing some of the big bowls myself. We found one bowl that had to be at least 1/4 mile in diameter, with a 100 foot high side the whole way around it, that was at about a 60 degree angle. The bottom of the bowl was nothing but lava rock and sagebrush, so you did not want to slide to the bottom of the bowl, and with the bowl being so big around the only way to stay up on the side was to rail the bowl wide open in fourth gear. That is about 65 mph on a DS650 with 22" paddles on it. Talk about an adrenaline rush, I've never railed a bowl so fast. It was almost like a Nascar super speedway track, but with a really really steep banking to it.

And there are so many dunes, that you will never run out of jumps. We found a perfect rolling fall away jump off of a dune that allowed us to stay airborne for 70 to 80 feet, with a smooth downhill landing. That was record air time for me, so St. Anthony now holds the record for both longest jump, and fastest bowl for me.

Too bad St. Anthony is 500 miles away from home, or I would be there every weekend. We had a blast, thanks for the information everyone.

Old 06-20-2004, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider

Old 06-20-2004, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Starky
I went there in May. It was my first dune trip and it was the middle of the week so there was nobody there. It had also stormed a day or two before so the sand was virgin. I tried to get lost in the dunes but the gps wouldn't let me. I can't reccomend highly enough going with somebody else. It's so easy to go off a razorback and there is lava rock at the bottom of a lot of the dunes.
We were there during the storms and it was awsome. We had the whole place to ourselves for a couple of days. I dont see how anyone would need gps at st anthonies. its only a mile or 2 wide and you can see everywhere. The shear size of the dunes is overwhelming . We were at little sahara ut the week before and thier dunes are not as big(except sand mnt) but much more varied. Either way you should NEVER RIDE ALONE and keep your eyes open for pits and drop offs. 2 of us were sitting at the top of thunder mountain watching our rookie buddies tool around the bottom of the south face. One made straight for us at full throttle and we could tell he never saw the 20 foot drop off in front of him. Luckily we waved him off and he skid up to the edge. Had he hit it at full speed I am positive I would have one less friend.

Old 06-21-2004, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider

SA's has the biggest best dunes in the country. Sorry Glamis boys....

Old 06-21-2004, 11:36 PM
Range Rover

witch place do you like to stay . will coming there fisrt week of aug. and want to have hookup and ride in to camp.

Old 06-22-2004, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

Sand Hills Resort is very nice, with lots of trees, and all of there sites are on grass lawns. They fill up early though, so you will want to call them and make reservations now. I found there number just by doing a search on "St. Anthony Sand Dunes". They charge $24 a night for full hookups.

Oasis Campground is a flat gravel spot in the back of a farmers field. It is flat, treeless, and had no grass. They also charge one dollar more per night for full hookups than Sand Hills Resort does. Not a very impressive campground if you ask me.

Egin Lakes Access is the BLM campground, and it is about halfway between Oasis and Sand Hills in appeal, but has no hookups. You will need to plan on running your generator if you stay there. I do not know what the BLM campground charges.

Something else to consider is that according to the St. Anthony Sand Dune site that I found with my search, the area covered by dunes is up to 5 miles wide and 35 miles long. According to their web site Sand Hills Resort is "right in the middle of the dunes", which sounds nice when you read about it on their web site, but all of the ATV riding that is done on the dunes is on the West half of that 35 mile long stretch of dunes. So even though Sand Hills is "in the middle of the dunes", they are actually located at the far East end of the portion of the dunes you will be riding on; Oasis is near the middle; and the BLM campground is in the middle of the dunes. Thunder hill is very close to the BLM Campground, and Choke Cherry Hill is at the far West end of the dunes. I would still stay at Sand Hills Resort if I were staying for a week, because the full hookups and nice campground are worth it, but you will have a 15 to 18 mile ride of nothing but sand dunes to get to Choke Cherry Hill. If I were just staying for a weekend I would stay at the BLM campground.

Old 06-22-2004, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

Mean Gene and **** Shirley are complete jerks at the Sandhills resort. They are the owners and practically will hang you for the smallest infraction of their prison type rules.. I will never stay there again and know tons and tons of people that feel the same way... Hospitality is a word they have never even heard of!!!!!

Old 06-22-2004, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

Blm campground is the best as far as getting to the best riding!!!!

Old 06-22-2004, 01:40 AM
Range Rover

thanks for the help sound like the blm for a day or to does some one have a map of the area???

Old 06-22-2004, 01:43 AM
Pro Rider

you might get one from blm officer that is there or they have some posted on a board in parking lot

Quick Reply: St. Anthony Dunes?