Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

paddles which one is for me

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2000, 12:13 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the sound of it Its a must to have paddles!!!! so a little about my quad it is a 99 scrambler 400 4X4 with full modded motor so power to turn paddles isnt a problem. I know I will be getting the dune hopper paddles for front but about the back which is better the sand shark with the arrow looking paddle or the dune hopper with straight paddle. I thank you for all the help this is going to be a costly trip so I want to be prepard so I can have the best time I can have. also from glamis is there a gas station close to dunes that have race gas I need 110 oct or above. here in IL I buy turbo blue 115 oct. also what is the current price of gas a gal. Im paying $4.00 a gal here. just a close guess is alright

thanks a lot
BDSCRAM1

Old 11-17-2000, 10:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 96 Scrambler 400 with Most of the HPD trail mods. Porting pipe head mods ect. I was told to only use the Hauller type paddles (same style as dune hoppers) on this machine. I think they recommend these because it’s such a heavy machine. I use regular front tires. It does fine in the dunes. It tends to wear out your arms after a while if you use four wheel drive all the time so I only used the 4x4 mode for the steep hills. The machines actually dunes pretty well even though it is heavy. You don’t have to worry about being in the right gear all the time like you do on the Banshee, although I prefer to ride the banshee in the dunes. If you are used to trail riding take it slow at first. The dunes have some pretty steep drop-offs that seem unnatural if you are used to trail riding. Try to turn accross the hill at the top before going over. You’ll see. I’m not sure about the high-octane gas. I’m sure someone local sells it but most people bring their gas and oil because the nearest big or medium town is over 20 miles away. Check some of the Glamis web sites or the Turbo blue web sight for distributors. Good luck. Ride on and keep the dunes open.