Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

I'm tired of breaking flags!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 04:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm tired of breaking flags!!!

See if this works.....

CB whip base

Old 08-06-2006, 09:14 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: recon99
Ok, I might go with the CB antenna. I already have 4 broken flags so i'll just use one of those for the top of the whip. Could you try to find me a link to the type of antenna you're talking about so I don't get the wrong thing? I'd really appreciate it.

Check the ATV shops and/or the CB radio shops in your area also

All Info

I recommend you get the heavy duty spring base --->Model: SS-H2F

Old 08-07-2006, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Sandgod
Get a quick release flag holder.. You must cut the nut off the original flag.. If the flag breaks you just push the old part through the hole and insert the flag back into the hole..
this is the type my friends and I run, I found one I really liked at Dunefest last year. the other trick is to use electrical tape at the bottom of the flag pole (above the mount) to keep it from splintering to bad. these type of mounts are available at Rockymountainatv.com

Old 08-08-2006, 02:29 AM
Trailblazer

OMG you cant seriosly tell me that when a flag breaks at the base you just chuck it and buy a new one???? that is a waste of money. Take a scewrdriver and a hammer next tim,e. then you just puch the chunk out and re-insert the flag. presto you have only lost about 3/4 of an inch off of your flag.

Old 08-08-2006, 08:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Not sure what you mean there dude. The mounts for mine are solid steel on one end, which makes it a little difficult to punch the broken stub straight through it. I would have to drill it out and glue it back in again. That really wouldn't solve the problem anyways, 2 hours later the flag will just snap right off again and i'll be riding with a flag sticking out of my boot looking like a fool.

Old 08-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

CB Whip...Thats a good ideal...Im going to have to try that..were always brakeing the damn things too..

Old 08-08-2006, 01:04 PM
Trailblazer

huh cause the 12 doolar flag I have is drilled all the way through and has a locking bolt that crimps around the flag when you put the nut on it to secure it to the bike.

Old 08-19-2006, 05:57 PM
Trailblazer

Make sure if you get a metal radio whip that it's usable...buddy o' mine went down to LSH OK and they wouldn't let him through w/o a fiberglass whip...no metal whip....i don't really see the difference? So just make sure what you get is usable for your area

Old 08-19-2006, 06:12 PM
KGB
Pro Rider

A utah company called Wheeler Whip makes a flag holder called the Springy Thingy. Its basically the cb antenna mount you guys mentioned, but it incorporates a quick release feature.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:36 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Lefty31
Make sure if you get a metal radio whip that it's usable...buddy o' mine went down to LSH OK and they wouldn't let him through w/o a fiberglass whip...no metal whip....i don't really see the difference? So just make sure what you get is usable for your area

The reason you DO NOT use a metal whip should be obvious. Metal does not break, it becomes a weapon. Fiberglass will break under stress, as it should. I use a spring holder available at many parts stores, and it allows for enough flex to make the flag staff last for more than one weekend. Buy a spring holder as has been described in this thread, and a quality flag and you will be as happy as I am keeping it legal and safe for me and any other riders that may get in the way of the flag staff.

Quick Reply: I'm tired of breaking flags!!!