Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

SNOW MOBILES @ the dunes

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 03:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SNOW MOBILES @ the dunes

has anyone ever thaught of bringing a snowmobile to he dunes? i think they could probably get around pretty good.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider

well if someone can make a snowmobile liquid cooled then maybe it would last a few runs.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:13 PM
Range Rover

i was going to post the same thing. thats what i was wondering

Old 02-20-2007, 12:46 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: ZillaRider87
well if someone can make a snowmobile liquid cooled then maybe it would last a few runs.
There are liquid cooled sleds.

I've not seen them at the dunes, but I've heard stories and seen pictures.

I have seen a sled at Bull Gap hill in Michigan, just a small sand hill in the middle of federal/state riding land. He scooted along quite well.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!

The problems with running a sled in sand are the slides on the track,they depend on snow for melting and lubing the plastic to track,otherwise it will melt and stick.You could remove it and put more bogey wheels on to keep the track from touching. The other thing is liquid cooled sleds don't have a real radiator,they have a heat exchanger under the tunnel or footboards,and rely on snow and water splashing up on them to cool the motor. If you hooked up an auxiliary radiator, and protected the slides, and rejetted for warm weather, it should run fine, I've watched grass drags in Minnesota, they get pretty wild, very fast machines when set up right.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:24 AM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!

I saw a guy ridding an artic cat sled in St.A's last year. He had an small rad with a fan mounted behind the seat. I think i remember him telling me that the front sprockets would wear out very fast in the sand. He had a set of front sand tires in place of the skies.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:19 PM
Trailblazer

I dont see why you couldnt do it. Up here in Utah, they take sleds out to the local 1/4 mile drag strip (a car drag strip) and run em. Its amazing how fast they go.....

Old 04-18-2007, 11:51 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!

Originally posted by: NVMYZ28
I dont see why you couldnt do it. Up here in Utah, they take sleds out to the local 1/4 mile drag strip (a car drag strip) and run em. Its amazing how fast they go.....
If you been to a snowmobile grass drag race most of the bigger teams have a quick connect hose sticking out of the rear seat (above the heat exchanger) after each pass(race) they will disconnect the hoses and have a large cooler there full of ice and pump the coolant throught this to cool the anti-freeze!!

The anti-freeze don't actually mix with the melting ice though......There is two hoses drilled and tapped into the cooler so it passes right through!!!!!

boy does that ice ever melt fast!!!!!!!!!.....They just use a 12 dc pump hooked on a car battery for the power!!!!!!

This is a very quick and easy way to cool the sled and ready for the next pass.....This works well in the final day of racing when riders either win that heat or go home......Turn around for this type of racing can only be minutes between races!!!!!!!!!!.........Good topic.......Caper.......(Canadian EH!!!)

Please don't get me talking about sleds..I can go on all night!!>>LOL>>LOL

Old 04-20-2007, 01:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

here ya go. the site is under construction right now. heres the link though for when it is working again.
http://www.sand-x.com/index.php?section=home

Old 04-20-2007, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

I saw a guy from Minnesota on a ThunderCat that was punched out to like 1200cc half hill most everything at Glamis about 5 years ago. He ran it @ 5 times over the 2 hours I was there at Olds. It's the only day I saw him run. I have seen people bring out fanily type sleds, like say a Yamaha 440 Enticer and they are faster than your average stock sport quad up the hill.

Quick Reply: SNOW MOBILES @ the dunes