Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Sand dune virgin, got questions!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sand dune virgin, got questions!

Oh, and stang,
I hope you don't think I am ******* the 250X. Like I said, I owned one for a few years and absolutely LOVED it!! However, when talking about the sand, they are severely underpowered if you plan on doing any type of hill climbing at all. Trail rides would be a blast, but any type of steep terrain is going to tax that motor, and believe me, St' A's has some of the steepest dunes in the USA!

Just go and have fun, but realize you might be finding a lot of "alternative routes" if your buddies have higher HP machines. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-08-2008, 12:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

i live in utah and we go to sa alot last summer i rode around on 2006 blaster completly stock. the only thing was the paddles i have the are the kenda dune runners on the cheap black wheels i went everywhere all the others bikes went all weekend didnt do choke cuz my bike sat at camp when we went there so i could run camara. my buddy was running nobbys on his 300 and went everywhere also so no stress. you will love st anthony though we cant wait to go back again.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider
SilverBomb has got an Addiction!

Let's be real here people, I don't mean to dog anyone with a smaller bike, but there is no way a blaster or anything smaller than a built 400 is going to do any of the big stuff at St. A's. Stuff like Devils Dune, Dead Horse bowl, Choke and various other big dunes. I only say this because I have had experience at Little Sahara with Mildly built 400ex's and Blaster's and had a really hard time even going around some of the medium sized bowls. And climbing hills was worse. And I think you should try your nobbies instead of the Gecko's. I think you would be surprised how bad Gecko's are, esspecially with a low powered machine. They will steal your power in the sand rather than help you. Like I said before, my buddies 400ex with stock nobbies on it out climbs the one with the Gecko's every time on the sand and I think that is saying something. Once again, I'm not out to bash, just offer some advice that I think will help you. There is plenty of fun to be had at St. A's with your 250x just not the big stuff, which is fine if your a beginner in the sand. Good luck and most of all have fun with what you have.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Boy, I gotta agree with the 250x being a bit underpowered.
I went to Little Sahara, on a 300ex, and sand stars, and unless the quad was pointed downhill, it wouldnt pull 5th gear. I ended up going back to the stock knobies, at least I could build up speed for a run on the hills.
That 250x isnt gonna do cholecherry with an adult on it. I went there last year, and stock 400ex like mine, were barely making it up. You can try, but dont be surprised when it falls way short of midway. I would say a 400cc machine is about the minimum size for the sand, with an adult riding it. Sand tires are ok, but not really necesary, inless you go up the steep stuff, which there is plenty of at St A.
Get yourself a one size smaller main, its not hard to change. The mixture screw may need leaning out 1/4 turn. I put holes in the lid of the air box, and covered them with duct tape. That way, as the motor needs to be leaned out for the elevation change, just remove the tape, and uncover a couple of holes at a time, until it runs easier. Totally removing the air lid, will probably make it overly lean.
Dont worry about the Gecs, on low horsepower machines they work pretty good. Just air them down, one to 2 lbs is good enough.
If this is your first time to the sand, make sure someone else is doing the leading, until you get familiar with the razorbacks and how to go over them, and watch out for the witches eyes.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 2fun

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: cynick

I also am not a big gecko fan. They didn't work for anything that we had but I would put them on my kids quads with out a problem. But I agree that for the price they are ok. I just don't perfer them. If I was to buy a v-paddle I would get Sand Stars they are about the same price and IMO work alot better. But that is just one persons opinion. I also think your bike should do pretty good out there I have seen many 250X and they seem to do ok. I haven't seen them on the big hills but if a blaster can make it up Choke so can you.

Good luck and have fun and be safe St.A's is a blast.</end quote></div>

There's no way I can believe a 250X would make it up Choke. I used to own one. I also go to St. A's every year (6 years in a row), and can assure you that some 400 EXs can't make it up.</end quote></div>

I agree I just said that if that guy said a blaster could make it up which I have never seen and also doubt that the 250 could. Never said it would. I said I haven't seen any on the big stuff so don't know how it would do on the big stuff just seen them out there. I have a friend that has a z400 and some times it makes it up and sometimes it don't. So I agree.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:02 AM
Range Rover

Thanks every one and keep the advise comming.

To answer a few things. I will be the underdog in the group. Going with two raptors and a z400. I also got a used set of sand skate II's which I may bring with instead. In terms of weight alone the one gecko is more than the weight of both sand skates. All though I do hope to try both sets out before winters end to see which work best. We had one windy weekend and have some large new drifts to play in this weekend. I will be bringing jets and a 12 tooth sprocket to try out if I get bogged down to much.

Choke, I don't think I'd even try, maybe going down but not up. Hope to try it on one of my friends though. We'll see how it goes and I can't wait.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider
SilverBomb has got an Addiction!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: STANG302

To answer a few things. I will be the underdog in the group. Going with two raptors and a z400. I also got a used set of sand skate II's which I may bring with instead. In terms of weight alone the one gecko is more than the weight of both sand skates. All though I do hope to try both sets out before winters end to see which work best. We had one windy weekend and have some large new drifts to play in this weekend. I will be bringing jets and a 12 tooth sprocket to try out if I get bogged down to much.

Choke, I don't think I'd even try, maybe going down but not up. Hope to try it on one of my friends though. We'll see how it goes and I can't wait.</end quote></div>

A quick word of advise. Don't go down Choke, you will be stuck at the bottom as there is no way back up without climbing it.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:29 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: SilverBomb

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: STANG302

Choke, I don't think I'd even try, maybe going down but not up. Hope to try it on one of my friends though. We'll see how it goes and I can't wait.</end quote></div>

A quick word of advise. Don't go down Choke, you will be stuck at the bottom as there is no way back up without climbing it.</end quote></div>

Actually there are ways around it there is an easy way up to the right if you are on the bottom looking up and then there is the real long way if you follow the trail to the left that you can follow all the way out of the big stuff.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

A 250 is too small for St A unless you are a kid or beginner.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

My 250x served me well when I was first learning to ride a quad (I don't count my old suzuki LT250E, In case your wondering what an E is, it's a rigid frame POS that wouldn't move out of its own way if you pushed it!) In the 2+ years I've had it, I've done a few upgrades. When my LT250E died I sold it for $250 bucks and bought myself a
shiny new DG 'krome power' exhaust for $200.
THATS THE BEST thing that ever happend to my X. Let me tell you, a straight pipe with just a megaphone on the end is a little loud. It can finally breath! Also, I dropped a tooth on the front sprocket so I could do some bigger hills. Now, as I mentioned on another thread not 10 minutes ago, I wish I had another gear above 5th. Thats pretty much as far as my mods go. Maybe next I'll go for a bigger cam.

Quick Reply: Sand dune virgin, got questions!