Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Are Silver Lake authorities strict?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2001, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like most of you might have noticed. I will be going to Silver Lake Dunes this spring/summer. I have read in Dirtwheels that non spark arrested machines are forbidden. I understand this is to prevent an annoying noise (Silver Lake not being as big as Glamis...), but are they really precise on that??? The deal is that I have my stock banshee plumbing pipes (spark arrested), and Graydon (that's what they seem to be) that aren't spark arrested. There is the silencer, but not SA...it's not that noisy, but will they tell me to get off if I come there with the Graydon pipes instead of the stocks? With the stock pipes, I loose 1000 rpm top end...I'm gonna loose facing scramblers!!!

Old 01-18-2001, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider

Hi i dont know any of the rules there and i have been there 3 times and havent been hassled once. i just run the stock silencers with my FMF pipes. sure its a power loss but its better than putting the old pipes back on. So if you have the stock silencers give it a try. Just take the rear caps of the silencers (3 screws hold them on) and pull the baffle part out and cut the inside part of the baffle with a hack saw. this frees up the flow a little bit when running the stock silencers. hope i helped alittle.

Old 01-19-2001, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know if I can fit my stock silencer on the pipe...I'll give it a try if necessary. But I don't want to cut the spark arrester (the end cap). I just bought it (them), to make the engine quieter since there are "many houses" where I ride. I sure did loose lots of power, but it's quiet. Noise won't be a concern in SilverLake. Anyways, I'll give it a try with the Graydon pipe/sil. If they really don't want me in, then I'll put back the stockers...but you seem to say that they don't bother too much (at all) with that.
Thanks

Old 01-19-2001, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider

Zorro,

Noise should be a concern at Silver Lake. According to the Michigan ORV Guide, "Exhaust noise shall not exceed 99Db(A) or 94Db(A) on vehicles manufactured after January 1, 1986 . . ." Now whether or not this is enforced, I don't know. For those of you who've been to Silver Lake, do rangers perform sound checks? I'm curious because I'm planning a Silver Lake trip and the FMF system on my 250R is pretty darn loud.

Old 01-21-2001, 08:20 PM
Trailblazer

Do you have a turn down Spout on your silencer? If so, you are in good shape. Take out the metal inside part (that you wrap the packing around) and put a couple of coter keys in it, and reinstall. If you have a turn down spout, then cant look up it. To check for a spark arrester they put a metal rod thing in the silencer.. and poke for it. It hits the keys, and wala, you have a spark arrestor, If you dont have a turn down spout, they can look inside of it with thier flashlights. Good Luck, and see you on the dunes.

Old 01-21-2001, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

chrisjack, do rangers administer sound checks?

Old 01-21-2001, 11:32 PM
Trailblazer

Mike,
I've never been checked. Nor have i seen one. I was talking to a guy who goes there every weekend, and he has been checked before. It is mostly for the guys w/ open pipes and what not, if you're not riding like an idiot, chances are they will leave you alone.

Trending Topics

Old 01-25-2001, 03:00 PM
Trailblazer

"For all machines made after January 1st, 1986"

Looks like im excluded..

Old 01-25-2001, 03:00 PM
Trailblazer

"For all machines made after January 1st, 1986"

Looks like im excluded..

Old 01-25-2001, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

I've been to Silver Lake about 20-30 times and have never seen them checking sound levels or spark arrestors on ATV's. Infact, I think that they are amazingly tolerant for loud unspark arrested ATV's. I have a very loud e-series pipe with 14 discs and have never been stopped. About the only things they check for are flags and helmets. If you don't have these you WILL NOT get in. I have seen people driving 400EX's past the gate shack with the endcap removed from the stock tailpipe! You could hardly be more obviously in violation than that; and they still got in without so much as a blink from the guard.

Quick Reply: Are Silver Lake authorities strict?