Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

St Anthony Dunes

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2001, 06:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HAs anyone Been there and if so..

Are they Huge as in Tall . And If I were to go in late March Am I going to be riding in snow ?
Also How does it compare to the Oregon Dunes ??

Old 01-24-2001, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider

Although I live at the dunes in Utah (Little Sahara) I've been to St Anthonys twice and its worth going. They run right to left and are just chopped up tiny small hills on the far right and they get bigger and bigger as you go to the left (southwest). There is a full blown campground on the far right Northeast end. The guy is an *** who runs it! Twelve to fifteen a day for hookups. Very nice place though. The free campgrounds are located by the lakes approx 4-5 miles to the left of the nice campgrounds, and are much closer to the Big Dunes. You will pressed for fuel on any two stoke to get to the Big dunes (Choke Cherry) and back from the Nice camprgrounds. The one by the lakes is a better place if you really want to see all of the dunes in each direction and not worry about fuel. The dunes are big, but I expected more bowls. March will be cold, but that depends on how you define cold. I can scan some pics if you'd like and email you them.

Old 01-25-2001, 12:59 AM
Range Rover

I live about ten miles from them. If you come in March you will be in snow and damn cold. Sometimes the weather turns nice towards the end of March and the snow leaves early. Check with me before you come. It is definitely worth the trip if you come when it is nice!

Old 01-25-2001, 04:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

How much snow does St. Anthony get?? If it gets a fair amount of snow,does anybody ever snowmobile on it?? I can only imagine what that would be like!

Old 01-25-2001, 02:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Some Scanned Pics Would Be Nice.
Also I guess My Definition of Cold is Anything Below Freezing.. The plan was Mar 21-26 Not sure what the weather will be like.
Thanks again for the INfo..

Old 01-25-2001, 03:56 PM
Trailblazer

i was told that the St. Anthony dunes are dusty Is this true? And do they have all of the trails like oregon or is it mostly open dunes

Thanks

Old 01-25-2001, 04:47 PM
Range Rover

It is only dusty if the winds blows. Lot's of miles of open dunes and some trails.

Old 01-30-2001, 01:33 AM
Trailblazer

RW660 must have hit his head or maybe ate lead based paint chips when he was an infant, the st anthony dunes are always cold and snow covered and as soon as they dry out they are VERY dry and dusty (lol). They are my personal favorites and i've been to a few dunes in my travels, little sahara and coos bay included. I like to go in march, rain or snow, but they can be treacherous and a few motorcycle riders have learned the hard way that the sand tends to cover snow drifts and make them look like just another dune ( one fatality from this!). RW660 I am from rexburg but live in pocatello now, I spend every weekend i can up there so maybe we can hook up and go for a ride sometime. The camping is packed on any holiday weekend so you have to be there early to get a spot, this is a big problem that needs to be addressed, I personally won't take my family on a holiday weekend for this reason.

Old 01-30-2001, 12:25 PM
Range Rover

I don't agree with the dust part. On a nice clear day with no wind? No dust unless you hit the trails on the North.

Lets hook up this summer.

Old 01-31-2001, 12:16 AM
Trailblazer

RW660 I was just kidding about the dust , I plan on being up there as soon as the snow melts and i'll try and let ya know ahead of time. probably won't do any camping untill at least april maybe later depending on when it warms up.

Quick Reply: St Anthony Dunes