Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Best Dune Machine

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 11:04 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by greg74
I remember years ago people were using Raptor 660 engine parts on Grizzly 660's to make more power. I think the power increase was pretty dramatic. Not sure if they did it with the 700 efi engine or not. These sand drag and hill climb atvs in some of these videos are quite impressive to watch but in reality they're basically a one trick pony. A lot like the 4x4 atvs(trucks too) with massive lifts and gigantic tires are really only useful in mud. Its a lot like building a muscle car to go drag racing. That's basically the only thing you can then use it for.
That reminds me of a couple of things. Before the Sportsman 500 became an H.O., there were people using Scrambler 500 parts to make their Sportsman 500 into a 500 H.O. They replaced the 32mm carb with a 40mm, and swapped in the longer duration cam. I think the clutch was modified too.

There's a hill climb on the Bull Gap trail system in Michigan. You can ride hundreds of miles from there through other trails, but some people will go up and down the hill all day and never ride the trails. Well, it's one way traffic now, so they climb the hill and have to take a trail from the top back to the bottom, and ride in circles all day. Some of the ATVs climbing the hill have extended swing arms and wide axles, etc., so they wouldn't even fit down most parts of the trail, and would have problems on tight turns. Their sand paddles wouldn't be that good on the trails either. Speaking of one trick ponies...