Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

silver lake DNR ORV Sticker

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2001, 03:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to know if silver lake requires your atv to be regestered in your home state before the they will sell you a DNR ORV sticker to enter the dunes? I now they are 16.25 per vehicle.

Old 07-08-2001, 04:58 PM
Range Rover

No. All the state wants is your money. If you are coming all the way from New York though there are some things that you should know. A few years back things got so crowded up there that people were waithing 8, 9, 10+ hours just to get into the parking lot. So in order to get in early people would camp on the side of the road in line the night before so that they were already in line in the morning and could hopefully be among the lucky people to get into the parking lot before it was full and they had to wait all day. Well, to sum it all up, each and every Friday and Saturday night along with the Holiday weekends (ESPECIALLY THE HOLIDAY WEEKENDS!) became a two mile plus long party on both sides of the road. The guys in their big 4x4 trucks would do burnouts and rev their engines up and occasionally if the police or DNR hadn't been by in awhile have some drag races. Fireworks would go off the entire night. No one slept including the locals, which was the problem. Consequently we can't camp on the side of the road anymore, instead we have a voucher system. You have to now get your vouchers the night before you enter the park from the station down the road. This voucher will give you a time period in which you can enter the park. Without this voucher you will not get in. Once you're in you can stay all day, but you have to have it to get in. The roadside campouts were fun but I will have to admit that this system does indeed work better. At least you don't spend your day waiting in line anymore. But back to your origional question. You can buy ORV stickers at pretty much any motorcycle dealer or Meijer stores, or of course at the gate. All you need is 16.25. Have fun on your trip.

Old 07-08-2001, 10:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

I plan on getting there around 10a.m. saturday morning. That will give my time to get all stuff I need I hope to ride maybe that night or get the voucher for sunday. I can get my camp site until 3p.m. on saturday. This will be are frist time on the sand. I now i have a lot to learn about the system. I just hope I'll be able to get on the dunes, before I have to head back home on monday.

Old 07-08-2001, 11:23 PM
Range Rover

I'd say there's a good chance you can get in the park by 6:00 or 7:00 when the people who have been there all day decide to clear out. You should deffinently be ok for Sunday. Good luck and have fun.

Old 07-11-2001, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

If you have a 4X4 truck you can bypass the parking lot and go directly into the dunes. Your truck would need its' own ORV sticker, state park sticker and ten foot high square flag mounted off the front bumper. You can get a "Dune Ready Voucher from the voucher station and then go directly into the dunes. This is what I do: I'll get to Silver Lake about 1:30 on a Saturday afternoon, go to the voucher center (which is a 1/4 mile up the road from the dunes) get the free "dune ready voucher" and then drive into the park past the people waiting for a parking spot. They check your stickers and voucher at the first office shack and then you go in to the parking lot area. There is an area there where you can pull of to the side and let the air out of your truck tires (10 to 15 PSI) and put the flags on the atv and truck. From there you just follow the traffic past the last shack where they check for flags and helmets etc. Once in the dunes I just drive down to the beach where I park the truck and unload the quad. It is a little nicer to park on the beach than in the parking lot. Its cooler, no dust storms, and you don't have to run your paddle tires on cement or gravel. You can take a break at your truck and watch an endless string of drag races that go on down there. When you leave the park, your tires will need air - but there is a performance shop at the exit where you can get free air.