Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Alternatives to paddles ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2002, 03:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kenda Gecko's are these things any good, lookin at the rear of a Raptor that has to be durable enough to ride some rock and grassy areas to get to the dunes where we ride down under........... or do you have some other suggestions, some sort of paddle with a rib down the centre so they don't get ripped up ?

Thanks

Kiwi

Old 06-11-2002, 03:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't have em, but I hear they work well from Chad (who does have them).
They look pretty thick and tough too![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 06-11-2002, 12:08 PM
Trailblazer

I have heard that GBC Paddle Masters are for mud, dirt, snow and sand. The straight paddles are fairly thick and supposed to be durable. They are fairly new so not a lot of write-ups about them yet.

Old 06-11-2002, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider

i doubt the geckos will hold up. i would say paddle masters except i hear that their really heavy and some other downfalls (there was a good post about them in the bomb forum not too long ago) the only other tire i could think of are realtors.

Old 06-11-2002, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

I've read mixed reviews on the Geckos - personally I think they are a poor design and more flash than function. The Paddle masters certainly look like a tough paddle but have read that their performance was not that great.

If it were me I would buy a set of molded paddles like the Cheng shin or GPC paddles and give those a shot. They are cheap and they hook well too; if they tear it's less of a loss. I would avoid Haulers or any other type of vulcanized paddles since I know from personal experience they will break when riding over too many rocks.

Either way, if you keep your weight to the front, avoid turning when both paddles are on the rocks and go easy on the throttle you should be OK.

Old 06-12-2002, 02:50 AM
Range Rover

I think Skat Trak sells paddles with the ***** left down the middle of the tire. They're supposed to be for just what you're wanting, holding up the paddles while going over hard surfaces. Although, I agree with Wyoduner, I'd probably just buy a much cheaper pair of molded paddles.

Old 06-14-2002, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider

Kiwi,

How about the Sand tires Unlimites- Desert Mini tracks. I have been told by a few people with lots of dune experience that these are the paddles to have for the Raptor. The tires are used for sand and desert racing, so thinking that if they are used in desert racing where rocks and other debris is common place. These paddles should be extremely durable.

Trending Topics

Old 06-14-2002, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

Here's my $.02

First ride with the Gecko's Memorial Day weekend. They hook pretty good (Not as good as a hauler or other straight blades) They turn better(more like a v-paddle) and make an all around decent tire.
Durability?? Probably not any better than the rest of the pack. The paddles are slightly thicker, but the kind of abuse I put them through, they won't last.

For high power applications, I highly recommend the Paddle Masters. THEY ARE HEAVIER!
But man do they hook! And they will be absolutely indestructable! (Buddy has them on a TRX500R)
Even severe burn outs on a hard packed dirt road are barely noted on tires.
These will be my next purchase! He was getting the holeshot on EVERYONE else in soft sand, and the turnability was still fairly good.

Might not be the best application for a Raptor, etc. due to weight, but they'll be on my 500 soon.

Old 06-18-2002, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider

I met a guy on a Banshee with Realitors(you know the mud tires). Anyway he took a torch heated up a wide chisel and went to town! He took out every other bar. It looked like it hooked up well and he said it didn't take long to do. I don't think you can beat that for a durable paddle.
Another Donation of my $.02

Old 07-03-2002, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

I have had a few different sets of paddle and the Skat Trak is my favorite

I bought a set of the GBC paddle masters and ONE WORD COMES TO MIND (HEAVY), they had NO flotation and you better have a ton of power other wise they will just dig you a hole,I RETURNED THEM.
I am sure they are VERY DURABLE because they are VERY THICK and HEAVY

I have a set of sand skate II (20-11-10), they are all right but they still do not float on top of the sand or are as light as the skat traks, but great hook up.
Damage does result on hard packed areas.

The Skat traks I have are the Haulers (22-11-10)
great hook up, exteamly light and outstanding floatation.
They do offer each of there paddles with a set of kobs down the middle for protection of the paddle on hard surface. Ck out there web site for more info.

I have also used my stock Titan 489 in the sand, Turn them around and they work quite well, Not like a true paddle but great multi use tires.

Quick Reply: Alternatives to paddles ?