Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Silver Lake (**warning** to all newbies)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2002, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DO NOT GO FLYING OVER THE LAST GIANT DUNE!!

I kept getting stuck going up the first dune because I didn't keep my speed up, well I made sure I didn't get stuck on any other hills.

I think the 3rd hill has a sharp drop, which i got a little bit of air over.

the Last giant dune (which has a BIG warning sign) has a VERY sharp drop. I went up and over the hill at 15-20mph.

To recap the experience
VROOOM
"hey, where's the ground"
"why is my buddy looking up at me"
"oh $@&%^"

I landed with my right foot on the peg, my left foot between the peg and the front wheel (didn't get crushed or pinched, danke Gott), my wrists were forced back pretty hard. Luckily, I wasn't hurt and I could drive away. My buddy was in shock as much as I was. "dude, you're f#&^@# nuts"

Anywho, that's my warning.

-- ps. --
be careful when doing donuts, your wheels may slide easily, but when they hook up sideways, you're a goner. I got thrown pretty far when I did that, luckily it wasn't my ATV that I rolled. heh heh [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-28-2002, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that was fun wasn't it? i spaced it and went over 1st hill winding out 3rd gear. man was i scared but landed great. didn't do that again. i don't know how high i was but the hill dropped off sharply. awesome. didn't see any accidents friday when i was there.

Old 07-29-2002, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider

The only accident I saw was the aftermath of a Raptor hitting a hidden stump near the beach.

The front tire was blown, the rear tire was blown, rear wheel dented, foot peg twisted, frame twisted at least 30 degrees.

Old 07-29-2002, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider

I think "newbies" pay attention to the BIG blue signs that say "Warning: Exit hill, Steep dropoff". But now that you bring it up, you should always ride the first circuit slowly to learn the layout. Last October the top of that same hill was a 20' wide tabletop; there was no dropoff. In June of last year (as well as this year) the crease was so sharp you could get hung up on your pegs if you didn't carry enough speed to make it over. After you get the hang of the layout, THEN hammer it. BTW, a couple of years ago two people were killed on that same hill doing what you did, only they were in a Jeep that endo'ed among other things. Glad you didn't get hurt. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-29-2002, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

I completely didn't see the sign, so I assume other people may also.

Old 07-30-2002, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider

There used to be be two signs, one on the east end and one on the west end. I only remember seeing the one on the west end, but then I didn't look either.

Old 07-31-2002, 12:32 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Did the exact same thing on that same hill last Labor Day. When I got to the bottom, this younger guy asked me if I was from one of the Huevos videos...didn't have to change shorts, but wow, that's a significant emotional experience.

Ken

Trending Topics

Old 08-02-2002, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend Dave done that here in So.cal at Dumont.The incident report says he flew off the top of a dune and landed 287 feet lower! Broke his legs,his pelvis cracked a few ribs too.The 80 mile helicopter ride to Vegas was 10 grand,the total bill to fix him was in the 60k range.

Old 08-02-2002, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

<< &quot;dude, you're f#&amp;^@# nuts&quot; >>

A priceless compliment! allways good to hear!

Old 08-02-2002, 10:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I've ridden just about every kind of condition there is. Desert, mountain trails, Dunes. Everything in between. Dunes are by far the scaryest to ride for the reasons you've described. They are also the most fun. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Ride safe.

Quick Reply: Silver Lake (**warning** to all newbies)