Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Wyoduner

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2002, 10:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed you were back from St Anthonys (posting again). How was it? How was the hill compared to previous times? It's only been a month or so since I was there, couldn't have been much different. Got any new Pics/Videos to share on your site? TIA

Old 08-22-2002, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider

Yep, I'm back from my travels (mostly work related but a few days at St. A for good measure).

Anyway, the sand seemed about the same steepness for the first 3/4 of the way up as earlier in the year. The difference was the last part at the top didn't get steeper like earlier in the year. Now it's a pretty steady slope all the way up; before that last section got a bit steeper which is what killed most people. It was too easy for me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] so I had to run up the section West of the main run to make it a little more fun. The sand was super soft that's for sure. The 400ex I rode with couldn't make it up and some Raptors had some trouble getting up. I took some pics this trip and some short videos but nothing to get too excited about. I got lazy and didn't want to spend too much time lugging everything around with me. I will probably get the new stuff up on Saturday when I have some free time.

One of the guys riding with us broke his Banshee frame at Devil's dune when he flipped backwards doing a wheelie. The frame had a crack and when he flipped it broke in half right under the seat. Bent the pipes at a 45 degree angle up, pulled the wiring harnesses apart, etc. He got it back together and rode it back to camp somehow. I have pics of that. All in all it was a good trip and we had a pretty good group riding together.

I'm going to plan a trip to Little Sahara, Utah mid to late October and will be definately getting vids and pics from there since my site is pretty thin on that area.

Old 08-22-2002, 08:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thanks for the update.

West of the main lane is where a stock Z400 went up. Its on my web site I believe. Its steeper and the sand is softer over there. I didn't try it. Didn't want to not make it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Even though I believe I could have.

You'll have to nick name that banshee rider friend Mcguiver. (sp?)

Devils dune is a huge dune. It was great to watch the modded 250Rs wheelying up the face and then one of them jumping off from the top. Do you climb the face of Devils dune and go over the top? Even if my Raptor could make it up the face I don't think I could get the nerve to try. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 08-23-2002, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider

WyoDuner~Well, it looks as if we missed yet another rider at St. A's...My hubby said he spotted you and tried to find me to meet you all at THunder, but by the time he found us and we got there, you had already went to camp.You passed me a couple of times, but you were gone in a flash, and I didnt know the ride to the resort from Egin well, so I didnt push it.Hope your trip was good, we had a blast, We took up 2 friends that have never been there and are new riders, so it was slow riding but very nice, wish I could have made it up to choke, the way we went was too steep or me to climb on my 300ex..I was really bummed I wanted to go so bad.We got a full system on the 400ex and wanted to give it a shot.I got a few pics of what I think was choke,we made it about 3/4 of the way there and turned back.one thing I did notice that was different from our trip in June was the sand was very dry and harder to climb in this trip.I am going up again next spring and doing Dunefest that summer.Anyhow hope you had a good time,sorry we missed ya...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-23-2002, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider

TNT, I got your not on my truck whe I got back to camp. That was probably the earliest our group left the whole trip and I bet we JUST missed you. Later when your husband spotted me I went back to the bottom of Thunder Mountain and hung around for about 25 or 30 minutes but the group was ready to head to camp. Later around 2 or 3 PM we swung by the BLM camp but couldn't find you on our way out to the big dunes. I really wanted to spend soem time with you guys but I guess it's just a big place and too easy to keep missing each other. Usually when we were going back/forth from our camp we were going pretty fast unless we had the less experienced riders with us. It would be hard to catch up. My next trip out that way will probably be mid to late October at Little Sahara, Utah.

Old 08-23-2002, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider

wshrdskn, I gotta say, if that Z400 made it up the West part (I saw the video and remember that now) that's not an easy way to go. I pulled the hill in second gear revved out pretty hard and it was not what I would call easy - especially with my big butt to pull up that hill. Pretty god for the Z400.

I have gone straight over the top of Devil's dune in the past but didn't this trip. It's not so bad, there are worse ones that are steeper on the backside that we hit out in the middle of the big stuff. Creepy feeling. Actually, a less scary to go over Devil's dune is go up along the East side and crest the razorback at an angle about 1/3 of the way into the dune above that section on the east that kind of sticks out. Personally, I never go over something like that unless I either check it out somehow first or see somebody do it first. The guy that led the pack, McGuiver, literally FLEW through the big dunes. I never went so fast through there in my life. To make it back there that fast we had to follow him through a lot of the creepy stuff - blind faith.

Old 08-23-2002, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

LOL...Yep it was a hit and miss thats for sure...The girl I was riding had only rode twice on a quad,so she was very slow at firstwe wer quite a ways from Thunder when we heard you were up there.Yep.I think we just missed you, I dropped the note off right a 10 am.WEll, maybe we will run into you next year if your up there when we go,have a good trip in Oct. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-24-2002, 12:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yes, very good for the Z400. He wasn't going very fast when he crested the top, wondered if he was going to make it. He was the same rider on the black modded 250R rideing the Z that was in his group. A very accomplished rider to say the least and would know what to do if things went wrong on his way up. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-24-2002, 09:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

So WyoDuner,
When you planning a trip out to AZ. You need some video of what the West Coast has to offer!

RoostKing...

Old 08-25-2002, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

Roostking, I really want to make a trip to Glamis this winter. It will have to be after Jan 1st of 2003 since I am almost out of vacation days. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Yime and family - really puts a dent in the riding that's for sure.

I posted the pics I took from last weekend. Nothing too spectatcular nut worth checking out. The new stuff is in the St. Anthony pics and Reader's Rides sections.

Quick Reply: Wyoduner