Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

What are dunes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 04:44 PM
Range Rover
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What are dunes?

OK, I keep hearing people talk about the "dunes" and to be honest you all have me interested. I have never been to sand dunes but I am dying to go. I live in the mid-west (Kansas City) so witch dunes are close? Witch dunes are the best? What mods do I need to do to my 400ex to get it ready? What do I need to do to my Lakota? Is it better to camp or stay in a motel? When is the best time to go? What gear should I have on? Who can I contact for info on this?

Any help you people can give me would be great so I can start planing my trip!

Old 01-17-2003, 05:39 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are dunes?

WOW im sorry to hear this. ok here is link so you could check outdunes enjoy

Old 01-17-2003, 08:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default What are dunes?

The Dunes are the best riding you will ever do for just go-for-broke fun. The closest to you would be Little Sahara in Oklahoma. Do a search and you will find them on the Web. The next closest would be Kermit Sand Hills in Texas. (My favorite). I like to camp as it gives you a place to chill and go to the bathroom between rides. Besides, camping is just fun. By the way, I lived north of the river for 7 years.
Later,
BT

Old 01-17-2003, 10:00 PM
RIP Dear Friend
Default What are dunes?

I want to dune it someday.

I am sick and tired of the mud. If I see one more piece of mud on my Raptor I am going to throw up.

Do they sell lots in the dunes because I am ready to buy.

I am just mad about the mud tonight. I am sick of cleaning mud and getting all wet.

Chet[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 01-17-2003, 10:10 PM
Range Rover
Default What are dunes?

Thats what I'm saying!! Just once I would like to go out riding and come back clean!!!

What do I need to do too my 400ex and my Lakota to get them ready for the dunes?

Little Sahara sounds good, Galamis sounds better but is thier anything closer?

Old 01-17-2003, 10:12 PM
Range Rover
Default What are dunes?

Also what time of the year is the best time to go ?

Old 01-18-2003, 09:12 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default What are dunes?

Late fall, winter, spring is the best time of year to go to Kermit, because it gets pretty hot in the summer. Oklahoma would be pretty cold in the winter though. You can ride either of your quads just the way they are. I have 2 stock Lakotas and 2 stock Bayou 220 that are a blast to ride. It will take you about 12-14 hours to get to Kermit, Texas from KC.
Later,
BT

Old 01-18-2003, 04:55 PM
Range Rover
Default What are dunes?

Hey Karico, are you still planing on going to the dunes feb. 1 & 2 ?

Old 01-20-2003, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider
Default What are dunes?

You know the best thing about riding in the dunes is you can take a dirty muddy quad out there and come back with something just a little dusty but no more mud or dirt. I do about 95% of my riding in the dunes and have spent a ton of money making my Banshee a better dune machine. If you don't have paddles there might be a few places where you'll get stuck and have a tough time getting out. I would like to try a nice MX track built for quads but there aren't any close by to me. Oh well once I get a dirt bike I'll have plenty of close by places to ride.

Old 01-20-2003, 08:51 PM
Range Rover
Default What are dunes?

Go to www.waynoka.com/littlesahara.htm Little Sahara is 150 miles from Wichita. There are many good folks from KC that are there quite often. Go to the Little Sahara forum link and you should be able to connect with some of the KC people. Just be careful.. The dunes are adictive. This time of year you do not really need paddles, especially for a first time visit. The Waynoka site has a weather link. Hope you do it--and soon.

Quick Reply: What are dunes?