Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Straights VS. V-Shaped

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 08:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Straights VS. V-Shaped

I have a 93 Banshee and was interested on what people thought about straight paddle tires vs. v-shaped paddle tires. I am not only concerned with dragging ability, but also with all other aspects of using paddle tires. I am a rider at Silver Lake Sand Dunes, Michigan. Thanks for any feedback.

Old 03-27-2003, 08:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would also like to ask if a mostly stock banshee (see profile) can turn GBC Sand Devils well. I just bought them and plan to use them on April 21 or 22 at Silver Lake. Thanks.

Old 03-27-2003, 08:17 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first of all, dont waste you rime with the v shaped unless you plan on doing all of your riding on tight sandy trails. your banshee will just spin those poor things into oblivion.

second, i dont know how big your tires are, or how many paddles, or the sprocket setup, so i can really tell you how well it will turn the sand devils. my guess, however, is that you should be ok for any 20" setup, but might want to drop a tooth on the front for a 22" setup.

Old 03-27-2003, 09:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 13 tooth on the front. And a 48 on the rear. My tires are 8 paddle 20x11x10. Thanks.

Old 03-28-2003, 05:30 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RaginBanshee350
I have a 13 tooth on the front. And a 48 on the rear. My tires are 8 paddle 20x11x10. Thanks.
That is REALLY low gearing. When you get some pipes you will want to change that. I run 13/41 gearing with 22" paddles in the sand and can pull 6th on the level areas - I don't pull it strong but it pulls and accelerates.

Straight paddles are the way to go in my opinion. If you're just playing you might like the V paddles. I know there's no hills at Silver Lake but if you drag you'll want straight paddles.

Old 03-31-2003, 12:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

I was running with 2 guys today at Dumont and they both had stock Shee's with Sand devils. Both guys loved the tires and were running great up the hill and around the dunes.

Old 04-01-2003, 04:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Now this is just my opinon, and most people disagree with it soooo

I was in the same boat you are, kind of. I had Vs, Sand Sharks, and wanted to get some straight paddles. So I bought some extreme haulers. If you drag these things work REAL well, but....well a short story.

When I got to the dunes it would be my first time to try out the new extremes. I was really excited about using them. I bolted them on and took off. I headed straight away from camp and MAN did they hook up good. Then as I went to turn around and head back.......well it took me a mile to turn around. I thought right then "What a waste of money". So I get back to camp, unhappily, and decide to try the new fronts out as well, I can't think of the name, they have the solid rib down the middle. After I got these on I took off again as I went to turn around this time I could actualy turn better, still not as well as with the V's though. All in all I guess they are ok. If you drag more than you dune I would say yes, but if it is the opposite then I would vote no.

But the last dune ride I went to LA Dunes, which there are no huge hills to climb and is mainly all drags. I really enjoyed he straights there.

Like I said this is just my opinon sooo. The best thing would be to try a buddies out before you go and buy any.

This is also on my Raptor, which might make a differance.

I hope that helped

Old 04-01-2003, 05:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

nobody will disagree with that. Its the truth and that is why there are variances in paddles. The straights are for extreme hook and to go straight, the v's are for maneuverability (sp?) but lack the hook that the straights do. Its a catch 22, that the rider has to decide on. Butno, the straight paddles dont take a mile to turn. Maybe 1/4 mile lol

Old 04-01-2003, 07:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

DaBeech,
Maybe if you didnt have these stretched to heaven frames you could turn in an 1/8th mile. But that wouldnt be any fun, now would it! LOL

I agree with Ward...

RoostKing...

Old 04-01-2003, 04:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

no way in hell im running those bikes out to the distance of an 1/8 mile.

Quick Reply: Straights VS. V-Shaped