Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Ice storm at Silver Lake

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ice storm at Silver Lake

Talk about crappy weather! Silver Lake opened again on April 1 and the weather has taken a dive. I had hoped to go this weekend but we're getting freezing rain. I can just imagine what those dunes might look like coated with ice. Instead of paddle tires you might need ice studs!

This is the state I live in, bad weather capital of the world.

Old 04-04-2003, 07:59 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I made a late season trip there last fall...it too was touch and go on the blustery weather. Sure kept the crowds down to, uh, nothing.

Old 04-17-2003, 10:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

got A QUESTION FOR YOU GUYS. hOW DOES THE VOUCHER DEAL WORK AT SILVER LAKES SAND DUNES. were planning on going up there next month and cant quite figure it out from the web sites.any info would be greatly appreciated.do they give you certain block of time to ride or is that just for the parking situation? thanks

Old 04-18-2003, 10:39 AM
Trailblazer

The voucher is useless. When you go there the first day tell them that u dont have a voucher, you will be able to stay in the parking lot and unload and keep your truck there. If you have a voucher you have to come at a certian time and just drop off your quad or bike off, and then park somewhere else. If you do have to park somewhere else just go to the parkinglot where the people park to walk on the dunes, its right across the drive way and they dont say ne thing.

Old 04-18-2003, 12:12 PM
Trailblazer

Maybe this can help?

The Michigan Department of Natural Resources (MDNR) introduced a voucher system during the 2000 use
season as a tool to manage the long lines of Off-Road Vehicle (ORV) users waiting to enter Silver Lake State
Park on Saturdays, Sundays, and Holidays.

There are two types of vouchers: Dune Ready Vouchers and Parking Lot Vouchers. Dune Ready
Vehicles are those that enter the Silver Lake State Park Dune Access Area from public highways and go
straight into the sand dune ORV Area without the need for the parking lot / staging area. Parking Lot
Vouchers are for those who require a staging or parking area for their tow vehicle and /or trailer. Both
types of vouchers are free to park users and are distributed from the Off-Road Vehicle Voucher Center
located at the corner of Fox and Ridge Roads, to the east of the Dune Access entry gate. The purpose of
the voucher is, simply, to “hold the ORV users place in line”, while staggering arrival times to avoid
excessive lines.

The Most Frequently Asked Questions and Answers and
Voucher Center Operational Changes for the 2003 Season

Q: When will the Voucher System go into effect this year?
A: Vouchers will be handed out starting at 12 noon on Friday, May 9, 2003 and will be continuously
distributed through the summer on weekends/holidays until September 7th.

Q: Where will I get my voucher?
A: They are obtained at the Off-Road Vehicle Voucher Center on Fox Road located about ¼ mile east of the
ORV Area entrance. You may also purchase your State Park and ORV permits at the same location, which
will continue to help speed up entry into the ORV Area.

Q: How soon on Friday can I get my voucher?
A: The voucher distribution point on Fox Road will open at 12 noon on Fridays for Dune Ready Vouchers
and at 9:00 p.m. for Parking Lot Vouchers. The Voucher Center will remain open until at least 11 p.m.
and re-open at 7 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday and Holidays. To reduce traffic congestion as much
as possible, traffic should follow the orange and black ORV Voucher Center directional signage,
posted throughout the community.

Q: What are the various voucher time periods.
A: Parking Lot Vouchers will be from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. only. Stand-by Parking Lot Vouchers will be
distributed once parking spaces for the first period are exhausted. There arewill be five Dune Ready Voucher
periods: 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., 1:00p.m. – 3:00 p.m., 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m., and 5:00
p.m. to 7:00 p.m. Arrivals after 7:00 p.m. may not require a voucher.

Q: What if I arrive after the time my voucher says, am I allowed to enter?
A: No, late arrivals with Dune Ready Vouchers will need to secure a new voucher for a later time
period during the day. Parking Lot Vouchers will guarantee entry between 7:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. only.
No parking lot spaces will be guaranteed after 9:00 a.m. If you arrive after 9 a.m., you will probably need
to secure a Stand-by Voucher for later in the day.

Q. What happens if I want to leave the park after entering?
A: Once you have entered the park, you can stay as long as you like until the normal closing time. The
vouchers only specify the arrival time. Dune Ready vehicles that leave the sand dunes and the State Park will
be required to go to the end of the line when re-entering. Vehicles leaving the parking lot will not be
guaranteed space when returning. Those attempting to “cut” in ahead of other visitors waiting in line, will be
turned away. Be sure your voucher slip is validated (HOLE-TYPE PUNCHED) when you arrive at
the ORV Area Entrance Gate for the first time, on any particular day.

Q: How many Parking Lot and Dune Ready Vouchers will be given out daily?
A: Over two thousand Dune Ready Vouchers are distributed each day or between 300 and 500 per two-hour
time period over the last two years. This may change because of the stricter enforcement and
monitoring requirements associated with the sound level testing. The number of available spaces in the
lot controls the number of Parking Lot Vouchers. Inclement weather, no-shows, early or unplanned
departures, space-sharing, and similar actions allow for additional room on occasion. Stand-by Vouchers are
used for these unexpected events.

Q: Can I obtain a voucher for someone else?
A: Yes. Two Dune Ready or one Parking Lot Voucher can be obtained by an individual, adult park visitor.
These voucher slips will require the addition of the user’s name and main vehicle license number, in ink,
prior to validation. Due to the limited number of parking spaces, only one Parking Lot voucher will be given
per customer at the appointed times. Two Dune Ready Vouchers can be obtained by one person at the
Voucher Center Office, but you will need to know the names and license plate numbers and the intended
time period wanted. The voucher forms must be completed, in ink, prior to validation at the time of
application at the Voucher Center Office. Voucher slips will again be validated with a distinctive holetype
punch upon arrival at the ORV Area Entrance Gate. This hole-type punch will be required if re-entry is
requested later during the day. Commercial ORV ride vendors will need to register rental vehicles in advance.

Q: Can I obtain vouchers for the whole weekend at once?
A: You can get Dune Ready Vouchers for both Saturday and Sunday and/or the Holiday at the same time.
They will become available at noon on the day prior to the voucher period. In order to give people the
opportunity for limited parking spaces, Parking Lot Vouchers will be available at 9 p.m. the day
before they are to be used. Saturday Parking Lot Vouchers will be distributed at 9 p.m. each Friday;
Sunday's will be distributed at 9 p.m. Saturday and Holiday periods will begin at 9 p.m. the day prior, as has
been the case in years past. Once the day’s Parking Lot Vouchers are all given out, visitors may choose
to be placed on the Stand-by List for the following day.

Q: When all of the vouchers have been given out for the day, is a user just out of luck?
A: If space opens up in the parking lot, more vehicles will be allowed to enter. Vehicles requiring the use of
the parking lot, that do not have a valid voucher for that day will not be allowed to wait in line outside the
park, as in years past. The Voucher Center Parking Lot will be used for these Stand-by stacking or cueing line
purposes during regular business hours. There will still be a wait with a Stand-by Voucher of course, since
there is no guarantee when parking spaces may occur, but the visitor will be better able to make the best use
of their time. Dune Ready Vehicles will need to check back during the day for the possibility of entry prior to
7 p.m.

Q: Is the DNR increasing the number of parking spaces?
A: No. Strict sand dune regulations will not allow the parking lot to be expanded “on-site” and the State of
Michigan does not own adjacent land where additional spaces could be located. Parking Lot spaces are 12
feet x 60 feet. The use of awnings takes up space that others may be waiting for. Please make efficient use of
the limited space. No side awnings are allowed on voucher days.

Q: What about trailers with watercraft and ORVs that get stuck on the entrance ramp?
A: Trailers are not allowed into the ORV Area beyond the Safety Check Station. Check with Park Rangers
regarding use of trailers to remove disabled vehicles or emergency situations. Also, continuing this year,
equipment over 60 feet in length will need to unhook trailers on busy days to use the parking lot.

Old 04-21-2003, 12:09 AM
Elite Pro Rider

That should cover the voucher subject. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]