Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

The Dunes of Samalayuca

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 08:59 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Dunes of Samalayuca

I was hoping to find some one out there that had ridden the dunes of Samalayuca!
If you are a Si FI fan you have probably seen the movie Dune and this is where the original film was shot. 93 square miles of sand dunes and its just 35 miles south of El Paso Texas!

http://paces.geo.utep.edu/elpjuarez/samalayuca.html This is a link to a picture of a aerial view the dunes.

I will be putting together a group ride at some point in time. It is of course in Mexico and you do need paper for you Bikes and Quads. I also know a tour guide that runs motorcycle on and off road trips in Mexico and I am hoping he can put this together on an on going basis of there is enough interest!

Old 05-08-2003, 10:05 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Olddirtrider
I was hoping to find some one out there that had ridden the dunes of Samalayuca!
If you are a Si FI fan you have probably seen the movie Dune and this is where the original film was shot. 93 square miles of sand dunes and its just 35 miles south of El Paso Texas!

http://paces.geo.utep.edu/elpjuarez/samalayuca.html This is a link to a picture of a aerial view the dunes.

I will be putting together a group ride at some point in time. It is of course in Mexico and you do need paper for you Bikes and Quads. I also know a tour guide that runs motorcycle on and off road trips in Mexico and I am hoping he can put this together on an on going basis of there is enough interest!
I added some Pics of Samalayuca Sand Dunes on my page!

Old 05-09-2003, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

I'd really like to hear more about this place. Have you been there before, can you ride there, etc...???

Old 05-09-2003, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

I'd also like more info. Is it legal to ride there?
Also is there an official BLM or similar link that you have to the area? I'd like to add it to the list of dune area's in the Dune Zone on ATV Connection.

Thanks!

Old 05-10-2003, 01:56 PM
Range Rover

I am checking into all aspects of riding the Dunes of Samalayuca, I have a customer that runs on and off road tours in Mexico. He is looking into the legalities of riding there and may be setting tours to this site. If you want to look at his website it is http://panchovilla.com/

I have to ride there Soon!

Old 05-11-2003, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider

I've wanted to go to Mexico for a winter ride for a while, I would want to ride my own quad though

Old 05-11-2003, 07:33 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: DSjockey
I've wanted to go to Mexico for a winter ride for a while, I would want to ride my own quad though
There is no problem taking you Bikes or Quads into or getting them out of mexico. You have to have a title or bill of sale an a visa and thats it. Samalayuca is only 35 mile inside Mexico from El Paso. Is there any sand to ride in Colo? I grew up in Denver and I go to C Spring serveral times a year.

I looked at your Pic's! Very Nice!

Alan

Old 05-11-2003, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks, the only ridable sand in Colorado is the north sand hills, about 10 miles north of Walden, Memorial day is the opening of the season (should be clear of snow by then) bring your jets it's at 8500' I've heard from 700 to 1200 acres